What exactly is a quota hunt?
TWRA realizes that on some WMAs, the number of hunters must be limited to increase hunter satisfaction and so there will not be a major impact on wildlife. In these areas, the agency uses a quota hunt system, limiting the number of permits.
What types of quota hunts are there?
Bear, deer, elk, sandhill crane, turkey and waterfowl hunts.
How do I apply for a quota hunt?
You may apply online at
What is “priority”?
Tennessee has a priority point system in place for several of its quota hunts. An applicant is awarded one point for each year they apply and are not drawn, i.e., WMA Big Game, Spring Turkey WMA, etc. Applicants with the highest priority are more likely to be drawn first.
- If applicants in a party have varying priority points, the points will be averaged.
- Each applicant’s priority is individual; it is only in the drawing that an applicant’s party priority is considered. When a party is unsuccessful, each applicant’s actual current priority points balance will increase by one point.
- Priority points only apply to the hunt category in which they were earned, i.e., WMA Big Game, Spring Turkey Waterfowl, etc.
- When a person is drawn for a hunt, their priority points will be reset to “0” the following year.
- Spring Turkey WMA: No limit.
- Youth Spring Turkey WMA: No limit
- Elk and Youth Elk: No priority. An applicant successfully drawn may not reapply for 10 years.
- WMA Big Game: No limit.
- Youth WMA Big Game: No limit.
- Cherokee Bear Hunts: No priority.
- WMA Season Long Waterfowl: No priority.
- WMA Early Season Waterfowl: No limit.
- WMA Mid-Season Waterfowl: No limit.
- WMA Late Season Waterfowl: No limit.
- Sandhill Crane: No limit. .
How much does it cost to apply?
A $12 non-refundable application fee is required for each drawing requested, except individuals possessing a valid Annual, Lifetime or Senior Sportsman License.
Example: The “Maximum Awarded Permits” for WMA Big Game is two, meaning two drawings are held for the same pool of applicants. You may choose to enter one drawing, you will only be eligible for one permit and the cost will be $12.00, plus any applicable fees. If you enter two drawings, you will be eligible for two permits and the cost will be $24.00, plus any fees. You must choose the number of drawings, party information and hunt choices on one application.
WMA Quota Hunt Application Periods
- WMA Big Game: June 14–July 26, 2023
- WMA Waterfowl (All periods): See Tier Designations on WMAs
- Sandhill Crane: Sept. 6–Sept. 20, 2023
- WMA Spring Turkey: Dec. 20, 2023–Jan 10, 2024
Any questions regarding Quota Hunts, please call (615) 781-6621.