Skip to main content



License Information

General Information

Hunting and fishing licenses are valid from date of purchase until 365 days after purchase for most license types.

Note: A Social Security Number is required by federal law to purchase a Tennessee hunting or fishing license.

Seasons are subject to change. License fees are subject to change. Migratory bird seasons are determined by federal regulations. Most licenses, except the Lifetime Sportsman License and specialty licenses, such as Wheelchair, Disabled Veteran, SSI (Supplemental Security Income) and Blind Fishing licenses, are available from most county clerks, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, marinas, TWRA regional offices and

Native Tennessean

Nonresidents who were born in Tennessee may apply for Native Tennessean annual licenses. These licenses provide nonresidents born in the state but no longer residing in the state, the opportunity to purchase annual Tennessee hunting/fishing/trapping licenses at the same cost as a resident. Details and application available online at First time applicants must apply by application only. Native nonresidents who have previously applied can renew their licenses online at, through the TWRA OnTheGo app, or at any of our Tennessee license Agents.

Misplaced a License?

All paper copies of hunting and fishing licenses including lifetime licenses may be printed at no cost at any time. You can also replace your license at any license agent for a fee of $8.00. Please verify your address at the time of purchase.

Resident License Purchase Information

Resident licenses can be purchased by:

  • Persons who possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license or Tennessee state ID issued by the Department of Safety. Tennessee state law requires drivers to obtain a Tennessee driver's license within 30 days of residency. Out-of-state driver's license only accepted for Military Personnel and Students meeting the criteria below.
  • Military personnel on active duty in Tennessee and children under 16 years of age who reside with them, regardless of Tennessee resident status.
  • Students who are enrolled in a Tennessee school, college or university for at least six months, with an appropriate student ID.
  • Persons who do not drive or do not possess a valid driver's license from another state, but who have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutive days with the genuine intent of making Tennessee their permanent home, may prove residency by presenting to a TWRA license agent any two of the following documents:
    • Current Tennessee voter registration card;
    • Current Tennessee vehicle registration or title;
    • Form I-94 issued by the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service;
    • Current rental/mortgage contract or receipt including deed of sale for property or receipt for payment of Tennessee real estate taxes within last year.