Skip to main content

Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting

Weapons Regulations

Weapons Type/Methods Legal for Hunting Game Mammals and Birds



Muzzle-loading Rifles

Centerfire Firearms





Upland Game Birds


Migratory Game Birds


Wild Turkey


Cottontails, and White-tailed Jackrabbits

* Includes muzzle-loading shotguns.

✓ Permitted depending on “type” of hunt.

1 No larger than 10 gauge.

2 Shotgun must be plugged to limit shotshell capacity.

3 No larger than 10 gauge nor smaller than 20 gauge, shot size no larger than a number 2 pellet. On WMAs, shot can be no larger than standard-sized T.

4 Nontoxic shot must be used on all WMAs.

Weapons Regulations


(Refer to NRS 503.150 and NAC 503.142)

Prohibited Firearms

Any firearm capable of firing more than one round with one continuous pull of the trigger.

Bow and Arrow

(Refer to NACs 503.144 & 503.145)

Bow includes longbow, compound bow or recurved bow. A crossbow cannot be used for archery only hunts.

It is unlawful

To carry a longbow with an arrow nocked on the bowstring while in or on any motorized vehicle (exceptions in 503.144). To hunt any wildlife with an arrow that has any chemical, explosive or electronic device attached.


(Refer to NAC 503.143)

Crossbows may only be used for hunting big game during an “Any Legal Weapon” hunt. Crossbows are not allowed for bow hunts.

Archery Disability Permit

A person with a permanent physical disability can now qualify for a permit that authorizes them to use a crossbow or a bow that uses a mechanical device that can anchor a nocked arrow at full draw or partial full draw during an archery hunt.

As used for this permit, “permanent disability” means a disability which prohibits a person from manually drawing and holding a legal bow at full draw. Contact your local NDOW office for more information.

Sight Attached to Firearm, Bow or Crossbow

A sight attached to a firearm, bow or crossbow may be illuminated or powered by:

  1. A battery contained within the sight;
  2. Light gathering fiber optics;
  3. A radioactive isotope such as tritium; or
  4. Iridescent or fluorescent paint.

The sight/scope may not cast or project a visible beam of light (Refer to NAC 503.145). The Department may issue a scope permit to a person with a visual disability. The scope permit authorizes a person with a visual disability to hunt, during a type of hunt that is restricted to bows or muzzle-loading firearms, using a 1 x magnification rifle scope that is mounted on a bow or muzzle-loading firearm.

(Refer to NAC 503.146)

Hunter Education Requirements

Anyone born after January 1, 1960 is required to provide proof of Hunter Education, in order to purchase a Nevada hunting license. Proof of Hunter Education is an official Hunter Education card or certificate from any state or Canadian province, with the Hunter Education number and state or provincial logo or seal or a previous year’s hunting license with the Hunter Education number or mark. If you have taken a hunter education class in another state or Canadian province, verification must be provided.

(Refer to NRS 502.330)

Use or Possession of Firearm by a Child Under 18 Years Old

  1. A child under 18 years of age, hunting with a firearm, must be accompanied at all times by the child’s parent or guardian. A parent or guardian may authorize an adult to take the child hunting, if that adult is licensed to hunt and accompanies the child at all times; or
  2. With the permission of a parent, a child 14 years of age or older may hunt alone if the child has a valid hunting license in his or her possession and uses a shotgun or rifle that is not a fully automatic firearm and cannot be concealed.

(Refer to NRS 202.300 and NRS 502.010(1c))

Possessing Firearm While Under Influence

It is unlawful for a person who:

  1. Has 0.08 percent or more by weight of alcohol in his blood; or
  2. Is under the influence of any controlled substance, or is under the combined influence of intoxicating liquor and a controlled substance, or any person who inhales, ingests, applies or otherwise uses any chemical, poison or organic solvent, or any compound or combination of any of these, to a degree which renders him incapable of safely exercising actual physical control of a firearm, to have in his actual physical possession any firearm.

(Refer to NRS 202.257)

Firing Firearm from/over Roads

A person may not discharge a firearm from, upon, over or across any federal, state, main or general county road as described in NRS 408.285 and 403.170.

(Refer to NRS 503.175)