Mentored Youth Hunting Program
Resident and nonresident youth may participate in the Mentored Youth Hunter Program, without first passing an approved Hunter Education Program, provided the youth:
A youth may participate in the mentored youth hunter program, provided the youth:
- Is 9 through 15 years of age. At age 16, a youth is no longer eligible to participate in the Mentored Youth Hunting Program and must pass an approved hunter education program, possess a Youth License, and appropriate tags/permits/validations.
- Hunts while accompanied by a supervising hunter who is 21 years of age or older and who has a valid license and tag(s) for the dates, area and species being hunted.
- Completes the free annual registration. Register Online at: myodfw.com/articles/mentored-youth-hunter-program or at your local license agent.
- Possesses the registration document while hunting.
- Reviews and acknowledges understanding of material on safe hunting practices provided by the Department by signing form.
- Follows all hunting regulations.
- Remains under the immediate control of the supervising hunter at all times while the youth is in possession of any legal weapon for the hunt.
- Is wearing a hunter orange exterior garment (shirt, jacket, coat, vest, or sweater) or hat when hunting with a firearm for game mammals or upland game birds (except wild turkey). The exterior garment or hat must have hunter orange visible in all directions (360 degrees).
The supervising hunter shall:
- Have a valid hunting license and tag(s) valid for the dates, area and species being hunted.
- Maintain immediate control of the mentored youth hunter at all times while the youth is in possession of any legal weapon for the hunt.
- Ensure that all Oregon hunting regulations are followed. The supervising hunter shall be responsible and accountable for all actions of the mentored youth hunter while engaged in hunting.
- Supervise only one mentored youth hunter at any given time while engaged in hunting.
- Review information on safe hunting practices provided by the Department with the youth.
While engaged in mentored youth hunting activities:
- The supervising hunter shall maintain immediate control of the mentored youth hunter at all times while the mentored youth hunter is in possession of any legal weapon for the hunt.
- The supervising hunter shall not accompany more than one mentored youth hunter at any given time while engaged in hunting.
- The supervising hunter and the mentored youth hunter shall not collectively possess more than one weapon legal for the hunt at any given time while engaged in hunting.
Seasons and Bag Limits
- Any wildlife harvested by the mentored youth hunter shall be counted towards the supervising hunter’s bag limit.
- The mentored youth hunting program is not applicable to designated youth only seasons and hunts.
Mentored Youth Preference Points
- Youth participating in the mentored youth hunting program will receive one mentored youth preference point for each year the youth registers for the program.
- The mentored youth preference points will be “banked” and held in the licensing system with no expiration date. To redeem banked points, the mentored youth will be required to fill out a form supplied by the department’s License Services Section that clearly states what species the mentored youth wants their mentored youth preference points moved to.
- Points must be used at one time and may not be split among species.
- Once Mentored Youth Preference Points are redeemed, they are converted to the Preference Point System and are subject to the Oregon Administrative Rules that govern preference points.
For Registration and More Information Please Visit:
Mentored youth can only take an animal the supervising hunter could legally harvest. Youth Hunts do not qualify under the Mentored Youth Hunter Program because the supervising hunter cannot legally hunt during a Youth Hunt.