Skip to main content


Game Bird Hunting

License Requirements

Licenses, permits, validations, tags, and controlled hunt applications can be purchased online or anywhere ODFW licenses are sold.

All Hunters

  • Every hunter must have in his or her possession a valid hunting license (See below for specific category types). (See exceptions for youths participating in the Mentored Youth Hunter Program and youth under 12 in YOUTH section.)
  • No hunter may possess more than one valid Oregon hunting license. However, for the purpose of acquiring preference points under the controlled hunts system and hunting big game, a youth between 9 and 12 years of age may hold both a free youth game bird hunting license and a youth license.
  • Annual hunting licenses are valid through Dec. 31 of each year. Hunts extending into the following calendar year require a new hunting license.
  • Depending on the species of bird you are hunting, you must have a federal waterfowl stamp, HIP validation, permits, tags, and/or state game bird validations to hunt.
    • Upland Game Bird, Waterfowl, Nonresident Game Bird, and HIP Validations and Federal waterfowl stamps are in effect from Jul. 1 - Jun. 30 of the following year.
    • Any person 16 years of age or older must have a current, signed Federal waterfowl stamp or E-Stamp in his or her possession to hunt ducks and geese.
    • No federal waterfowl stamp is required for band-tailed pigeon, mourning dove, crow, coot, or snipe hunting.
    • To hunt sage-grouse, band-tailed pigeons, brant, sea ducks, or NW Oregon geese, a separate permit for each is required (See Licenses).

Oregon Residents

  • Oregon residents 18 years of age and older must obtain a resident hunting, combination or Sports Pac license to hunt in Oregon.
    • A resident is any person who has resided in Oregon at least six months immediately prior to the date of making application for a license, tag or permit. Temporary absence from the state for a purpose other than establishing residency outside the state shall not be considered in determining whether a person meets the residency requirement.
    • These requirements are waived for certain active members of the uniformed services and for some foreign exchange students.
    • Submitting a false application is a crime.
    • For hunters 17 years of age and younger, please refer to Youth section.
  • Oregon residents must obtain appropriate validations to hunt in Oregon.
    • Residents 12 years of age or older must have a state waterfowl validation in their possession to hunt ducks (including mergansers), geese and coots. See ALL HUNTERS for information on federal stamp requirements.
    • Residents 12 years of age or older must have a state upland game bird validation in their possession to hunt pheasant, grouse, quail and partridge.

Youth (Resident and Nonresident)

  • All youths 17 years of age and younger must have a Hunter Education Certificate or a Department issued document (ex. hunting license) which includes their Hunter Education Certificate Number in their possession to hunt anywhere except on their own land or land owned by their parent or legal guardian. For Hunter Education class information or to obtain a replacement copy of a hunter safety card, call the Hunter Education office in Salem at 503-947-6028.
  • Youth 12 years of age or older must obtain applicable state youth waterfowl and youth upland validations (See Licenses). See ALL HUNTERS for federal waterfowl stamp requirements.
  • Youth 11 years of age and under do not need a license to hunt game birds, small game, or unprotected wildlife except:
    • To obtain a HIP Validation to hunt for migratory game birds, to purchase a turkey tag, to purchase permits to hunt for band-tailed pigeons, sea ducks, brant, geese during the Northwest Permit Season, and/or pheasants during a Fee Pheasant Hunt they need to obtain either a free Youth Game Bird License or purchase a Youth License. To apply for controlled sage-grouse permits or wildlife area reservation hunts they must purchase a Youth License.
  • The free Youth Game Bird Hunting License does not allow a youth to participate in the controlled hunt drawing or apply for preference points.
  • Youths 13 years of age and under while hunting on property other than their own must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older.
  • See exceptions for the Mentored Youth Hunter Program.


  • All nonresidents who want to hunt in Oregon must obtain a nonresident hunting license if they are 18 years of age or older.
  • A 3-Day Nonresident Hunting License for game birds and crow is valid for three consecutive days.
    • Applicable game bird validations, permits, and turkey tags are required along with this hunting license.
    • This license is not valid to apply for controlled bird hunts. To apply for controlled bird hunts, a regular nonresident hunting license is required.
  • Nonresidents 18 years of age or older must have a nonresident game bird validation included on their hunting license or on their 3-day nonresident hunting license and in their possession to hunt ducks (including mergansers), geese, coots, pheasants, grouse, quail and partridge.


  • Obtain a hunting license.
    • Resident landowners can obtain a FREE landowner license to hunt game birds on their own property, except for brant, band-tailed pigeon, sea duck, sage-grouse and turkey (spring and fall). For these hunt types, a regular hunting license and applicable tags and permits are required for landowners hunting on their own property.
  • Landowners must obtain appropriate validations to hunt (dependent on species, see Licenses).

Your Oregon Game Bird Stamp Dollars at Work

Oregon game bird stamps have been providing funds to maintain healthy game bird populations in the state for more than 30 years. The Oregon migratory waterfowl stamp began in 1984 and the upland bird stamp followed in 1990. The stamps (now called validations) are purchased by game bird hunters in conjunction with the general hunting license. Collectively, sales of game bird stamps and related artwork generate nearly $1 million each year. Funds are used to accomplish a variety of program-related activities, such as game bird research and banding, equipment purchases, and habitat improvement and conservation projects.