Deer/Elk Hunting Information
It is illegal to possess or use deer scents or lures that contain natural deer urine or other bodily
fluids while taking, attempting to take, attracting, or scouting wildlife in Virginia.
Firearms Either-sex Deer Hunting For Incorporated Cities and Towns
- Deer of either sex may be taken full season in the incorporated limits of any city or town in Virginia that allows firearms deer hunting (except in the cities of Chesapeake, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach), but only with the specific weapons authorized by each individual city or town.
- Earn a Buck applies to all cities and towns except Chesapeake, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach. See Deer Hunting.
Legal Methods and Restrictions During Firearms Deer Seasons
Special restrictions apply to specific firearms use during this season. See Legal Use of Firearms & Archery Tackle and Local Firearms.
- Modern firearms
- Pneumatic arrowguns are allowed
- Air rifles must be .35 caliber or larger
- Hunters are allowed to use archery tackle or muzzleloading firearms to deer hunt during the firearms deer season with the following conditions:
- all hunters are required to comply with the either-sex deer hunting days for the firearms deer season.
- use of muzzleloading firearms is allowed only if not otherwise restricted.
- muzzleloader deer hunters must wear blaze color during the firearms deer season.
- archery deer hunters must wear blaze color during the firearms deer season except when hunting in areas where the discharge of firearms is prohibited.
Dogs May Not Be Used For Deer Hunting
- West of the Blue Ridge.
- East of the Blue Ridge in Bedford, Fairfax, Franklin, Henry, Loudoun, Northampton, and Patrick counties, and Amherst (west of Rt. 29), Campbell (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), Nelson (west of Rt. 151), Pittsylvania (west of Norfolk Southern Railroad), and the City of Lynchburg.
- On Sunday while in possession of a weapon.
- When hunting during archery and muzzleloading seasons and on the Youth and Apprentice Deer Hunting Weekend.
- On many military areas. Check individual Post regulations.
- On Amelia, Cavalier, Doe Creek, Featherfin, Mattaponi, Mattaponi Bluffs, Merrimac Farm, Oakley Forest, Flippo-Gentry, Pettigrew, C. F. Phelps, G. Richard Thompson, Robert W. Duncan, Tye River, and Ware Creek Wildlife Management Areas.
- November 19 through December 2 in Madison and Greene counties.
- During an early or late antlerless-only firearms deer season.
Allowed (see Hunting Information for details).