There is no closed season for wild crawfish harvest EXCEPT for some wildlife management areas and state and federal refuges (see WMA and Refuge Regulations).
Size and Possession Limits
- There is no minimum size for crawfish.
- The bag and possession limit for crawfish is 150 pounds daily per person in state waters.
- No more than 35 traps may be used per person while fishing recreationally for crawfish.
- Basic Fishing License
- A Recreational Crawfish Trap Gear License is required to use crawfish traps in public waters. Starting June 1, 2022, the Crawfish Trap Gear License will be included in the Basic Fishing License.
- A Basic Recreational Fishing License or a Wild Louisiana Stamp is required to use crawfish nets, dip nets, hand lines, or bait seines on LDWF WMAs or refuges. Starting June 1, 2022, a WMA Access Permit will be required.
- A Basic Recreational Fishing License or a gear license is not required to use crawfish nets, dip nets, hand lines or bait seines for taking crawfish recreationally. Starting June 1, 2022 a hook and line or a Basic Fishing License must be purchased to use crawfish nets, dip nets, hand lines or bait seines for taking crawfish recreationally.
Methods of Take
Crawfish may be taken with any legal crawfish trap, crawfish net, hoop net, wire net, handline, bushline, bait seine or dip net. A cast net must not exceed 8.5 feet in radius. Crawfish traps may be prohibited on certain LDWF WMAs and refuges. Consult fishing regulations on WMA’s and Refuges for more details.
A crawfish trap is defined as any device constructed of coated wire with the opening of the throats or flues not exceeding 2 inches, and which is used for the express use of taking crawfish. Crawfish traps are typically of the pillow style or cone style with minimum mesh size no smaller than 3/4 inches by 11/16 inches. Traps must have a minimum mesh size of a hexagon of 3/4 by 11/16 of 1 inch from wire to wire not including any coating on the wire.
Crawfish traps must be marked with a waterproof tag, provided by the fisherman, with the name and recreational gear license number of the fisherman legibly printed on the tag.
A crawfish net is defined as any device constructed with vegetable or synthetic material without flues or throats attached to a wire frame that forms a net basket and is used for the purpose of taking crawfish.