Skip to main content



License Fees

(The issuance fee is included in the prices below.)

Resident and nonresident licenses are valid for one year from the date of purchase unless otherwise noted.

Resident Fees



Sportsman’s License (16 years or older)


Includes hunting license, bear license, deer/turkey license (valid July 1–June 30), archery license, muzzleloader license, freshwater fishing license and trout license

County/City Resident Freshwater Fishing*


(For county or city of residence only)

Resident State Freshwater Fishing License* (age 16 and older)

1-year license


2-year license


3-year license


4-year license


Resident State Fresh/Saltwater Fishing*


Resident Saltwater Fishing License


South Holston Reservoir Fishing License


Allows fishing in both Tennessee and Virginia waters of South Holston Reservoir upstream of the dam. A valid resident fishing license is also required. See License Information for more details.

Resident 5-Day Freshwater Fishing


Resident 5-Day Fresh/Saltwater Fishing


(5 consecutive days) Not valid in designated stocked trout waters

Resident 10-Day Saltwater Fishing


(10 consecutive days)

Resident Tidal Boat Sport Fishing (see License Information)


Resident 65 and Over Annual Freshwater Fishing*


Resident Trout Fishing (October 1–June 15)


Required in addition to other resident licenses if fishing in stocked waters.

Nonresident Fees



Nonresident State Freshwater Fishing** (age 16 or older)


Nonresident Saltwater Fishing License


Nonresident State Fresh/Saltwater Fishing**


Nonresident 1-Day Freshwater Fishing
Not valid in designated stocked trout waters


Nonresident 5-Day Freshwater Fishing**


(5 consecutive days)

Nonresident 10-Day Saltwater Fishing License


(10 consecutive days)

Nonresident 5-Day Fresh/Saltwater Fishing**


(5 consecutive days)

Nonresident Tidal Boat Sport Fishing (see page 12)


Nonresident Annual Fishing License for 70% or Greater Service-Connected Partially Disabled Veterans and Service-Connected Totally and Permanently Disabled Veterans

Nonresident Veterans rated 70% or greater service-connected or as Total and Permanent Service-Connected by the U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs Administrative Office may apply for a discounted annual fishing license. All applicable licenses, stamps, or permits are required in addition to this license. Please visit for application, instructions, and prices. Applications may be mailed or brought into our Henrico office location only.

Nonresident Trout Fishing (October 1–June 15)


Required in addition to other nonresident licenses if fishing in stocked waters.

Miscellaneous Fees



Daily Permit Required at Clinch Mountain, Crooked Creek, and Douthat State Park Fee Fishing Areas


Required in addition to regular resident, resident 5-day license, nonresident, or nonresident 1-day or 5-day license. See Special Regulation Trout Waters.

National Forest Permit


For fishing in the National Forest, this permit is required along with the required fishing licenses (exceptions: residents under 16 and over 65, nonresidents under 16).

Virginia State Forest Use Permit


Allows hunting, trapping, fishing, mountain biking, and horse riding. No motorized vehicles on gated roads/trails (open or closed). Sold in cooperation with the Virginia Department of Forestry.

Access Permit

$4.00 per day or $23.00 per year

See License Information for more details.

County Dip Net Permit


To take shad, herring, and mullet. River herring and American shad may not be harvested from tidal waters.

Public Access Lands for Sportsmen (PALS)