BEFORE applying for the big game draw, all adult & youth applicants MUST first purchase a qualifying license before they can apply for the draw.
2021 DRAW INFORMATION:
- Primary draw applications close 4/5/2022 at 8 p.m. MT.
- The secondary draw application deadline is 7/5/2022 at 8 p.m. MT.
Other Major 2021 Changes:
- A new brief license surrender period is available after the primary draw. Once the draw is complete, CPW will send emails to customers who are successful in the draw and provide them with a short period when they can decide to surrender their license if they no longer want it, receiving preference point restoration to the pre-draw level and removal of the license from the customer's account. The license surrender deadline is April 22 at 11:59 p.m. MT for sheep and goat, and June 6 at 11:59 p.m. for the rest of big game.
- ALL license exchanges will now be charged a fee of $5 (formerly half the cost of the license, not to exceed $25).
- There is no longer a maximum let-off percentage for hand-held bows for big-game hunting.
- Mandatory CWD testing for deer from select hunt codes, and more.
20212 Season Dates
Check the regulation brochure for specifics and variations.
Deer/elk (west of I-25 and Unit 140)
Plains deer (east of I-25, except Unit 140)
|Whitetail-only (limited)||Oct. 1 - 28|
|Pronghorn (limited)||Aug. 15-31 or|
Aug. 15-31 & Sept. 1-20
|Pronghorn bucks only (over-the-counter)||Aug. 15-31|
|Pronghorn either sex (over-the-counter)||Sept. 1-20|
|Bear (over-the-counter and/or limited)||Sept. 2–30|
|Muzzleloader (by draw only)|
|Plains deer (east of I-25, except Unit 140)||Oct. 8–16|
|Whitetail-only (limited)||Oct. 8-16|
|Bear (over-the-counter and/or limited)||Sept. 10–18|
|Separate limited elk (1st season)||Oct. 15-19|
|Combined deer/elk (2nd season)||Oct. 29-Nov. 6|
|Combined deer/elk (3rd season)||Nov. 12–18|
|Combined limited deer/elk (4th season)||Nov. 23–27|
|Plains deer (east of I-25, except Unit 140)||Oct. 30–Nov. 9|
|Late plains deer (east of I-25, except Unit 140)||Dec. 1–14|
|Whitetail-only (limited)||Oct. 29-Nov. 8|
|Late Whitetail-only (limited)||Dec. 1-14|
Check hunt code tables in brochure for early and late rifle seasons for certain hunts.
|Bear Sept. (limited)||Sept. 2–30*|
|Bear (1st season) (over-the-counter and/or limited) ||Oct. 15–19|
|Bear (2nd season) (over-the-counter and/or limited) ||Oct. 29–Nov. 6|
|Bear (3rd season) (over-the-counter and/or limited) ||Nov. 12-18|
|Bear (4th season) (over-the-counter and/or limited) ||Nov. 23-27|
|Bear Private-Land-Only (over-the-counter)||Sept. 2–Nov. 27*|