How to Find Regulations for Specific Waters
Statewide regulations are on Statewide Creel Limits and Statewide Regulations, but there are many exceptions to these. Please see Exceptions to Statewide Regulations for each drainage area which are organized into the five Drainage Areas shown on the map below.
- Locate the Drainage Area you are in on the map below and go to that page (Yellowstone National Park and Wind River Tribal regulation information is at the bottom of this page).
- Review the table of Creel and Possession Limits for your Area. Some limits will differ from Creel Limits on Statewide Creel Limits. The Area Creel and Possession Limits apply to the entire area shown on the Area map below the table, unless a water is listed with a limit specific to that water.
- Check to see if the drainage area or the specific water you are fishing is listed. If listed, the water has specific regulations you must know. Waters are listed alphabetically and numbered. Regulations that apply to drainage areas appear in YELLOW boxes. Locations (numbers) are indicated on maps;
- Drainage Exceptions are shown as yellow dots
- Stream Exceptions are shown with blue dots
- Other Exceptions (reservoirs, lakes and ponds) are shown as black dots
- Review Statewide Regulations.
- Contact a regional or statewide office if you have questions.