Skip to main content



How to Find Regulations for Specific Waters

Statewide regulations are on Statewide Creel Limits and Statewide Regulations, but there are many exceptions to these. Please see Exceptions to Statewide Regulations for each drainage area which are organized into the five Drainage Areas shown on the map below.
  1. Locate the Drainage Area you are in on the map below and go to that page (Yellowstone National Park and Wind River Tribal regulation information is at the bottom of this page).
  2. Review the table of Creel and Possession Limits for your Area. Some limits will differ from Creel Limits on Statewide Creel Limits. The Area Creel and Possession Limits apply to the entire area shown on the Area map below the table, unless a water is listed with a limit specific to that water.
  3. Check to see if the drainage area or the specific water you are fishing is listed. If listed, the water has specific regulations you must know. Waters are listed alphabetically and numbered. Regulations that apply to drainage areas appear in YELLOW boxes. Locations (numbers) are indicated on maps;
    • Drainage Exceptions are shown as yellow dots
    • Stream Exceptions are shown with blue dots
    • Other Exceptions (reservoirs, lakes and ponds) are shown as black dots
  4. Review Statewide Regulations.
  5. Contact a regional or statewide office if you have questions.

Yellowstone National Park Fishing Regulations

A Yellowstone National Park fishing permit is required for fishing in Yellowstone National Park, but a state fishing license is not required. Find detailed information on the web or by calling 307-733-7381.

Wind River Tribal Reservation Fishing Regulations

The Wind River Tribal Reservation requires anyone traveling on or within the boundaries of the Wind River Indian Reservation to possess a Wind River Tribal Fishing /Trespass Permit whether one is fishing or just hiking. Find tribal fishing regulations at or by calling 307-332-7207.

Contact Information

Drainage Area 1

420 North Cache - PO Box 67 Jackson, WY 83001 (800) 423-4113 (307) 733-2321

Drainage Area 2

260 Buena Vista Lander, WY 82520 (800) 654-7862 (307) 332-2688 2820 State Highway. 120 Cody, WY 82414 (800) 654-1178 (307) 527-7125

Drainage Area 3

700 Valley View Drive Sheridan, WY 82801 (800) 331-9834 (307) 672-7418

Drainage Area 4

351 Astle Avenue Green River, WY 82935 (800) 843-8096 (307) 875-3223 432 East Mill - PO Box 850 Pinedale, WY 82941 (800) 452-9107 (307) 367-4353

Drainage Area 5

1212 Adams Street Laramie, WY 82070 (800) 843-2352 (307) 745-4046 3030 Energy Lane Casper, WY 82604 (800) 233-8544 (307) 473-3400

Statewide Information

WGFD Information Section 5400 Bishop Boulevard Cheyenne, WY 82006-0001 (800) 842-1934 (307) 777-4600