Trout Fishing Guide
Virginia Freshwater Fishing
Trout Stocking information
Information is updated each day at 4:00 p.m. during the stocking season. Stocking information is also updated daily on the Department’s website.
This program was added for those anglers who enjoyed and missed the old opening day. Selected waters are stocked for the first Saturday in April to create an announced stocking event.
The following waters will be stocked for Heritage Day on April 1:
Bark Camp Lake
Clinch Mountain Fee Fishing Area*
Crooked Creek Fee Fishing Area*
Douthat Lake Fee Fishing Area*
Pedlar River (upper)
Prince William County
South Fork Powell River
* The fee fishing areas are closed to angling from March 28–31.
Heritage Waters are closed on March 31. On April 1 fishing can begin at 9:00 a.m.
Youth-Only Stocked Trout Program
- Waters in this program will be designated by the Director and considered Youth-only from April 1 through June 15.
- Only youth 15 years of age and younger may participate
- Daily trout creel limit is three
- Adults (17 years of age and older) are not required to have a freshwater fishing license or trout license to assist youth
- Adults assisting youth (12 years of age and younger) can:
- bait the hook
- assist in casting
- assist with removing the fish from the hook/line
- Adults cannot assist with setting the hook and/or retrieving the fish
- From June 16 through March 31, statewide fishing regulations and licensing requirements will apply
- Please refer to the Department’s website for updated list of Youth-only Stocked Trout Waters