Registration Information

Placeholder New Hampshire Other

Registrations Required

All snowmobiles and OHRVs must be registered if operated off of the owner’s property. A registration is a privilege to ride off your own property on approved trails or with written landowner permission. A registration is also required to operate on frozen lakes and ponds.

Conventional motor vehicles (cars and trucks) that are legally registered as a motor vehicle do not need an OHRV registration. Motorcycles that are registered for highway use must have an OHRV registration to operate off road.

Youth Models: No registration is required for youth model ATVs, trail bikes or snowmobiles if the operator is less than 12 years of age and the youth is accompanied by a properly licensed adult. To qualify, youth snowmobiles must be 125cc or less; youth ATVs and youth 2-wheel trail bikes, 95cc or less.

Registering an OHRV or Snowmobile

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is the state agency responsible for the registration of off-highway recreational vehicles and snowmobiles. New Hampshire does not title off-highway recreational vehicles or snowmobiles, nor does it maintain any records of title or liens on these types of vehicles. No title, bill of sale or previous registration is required to register an off-highway recreational vehicle or snowmobile. It is the responsibility of the registrant to ensure the machine information is correct.

Individuals may register in person at any one of the registration agents located throughout the state (listed at wildnh.com/ohrv/agents.html); or at Fish and Game headquarters in Concord in person or through the mail by downloading a print-and-mail application from the Fish and Game website at wildnh.com/ohrv/registration.html.

Registrations are issued electronically to the individual. A registration consists of a printed white certificate and 2 decals. The registration certificate must be carried by the operator and the decals must be properly affixed to the OHRV or snowmobile.

2018/2019 Annual OHRV/Snowmobile Registrations and 14-Month OHRV Registrations are valid from the date of issue through June 30, 2019, and are not prorated. New 14-month registrations are available at OHRV Registration Agents in May. New annual registrations are available at OHRV Registration Agents in late June.

When Registering an OHRV or Snowmobile, the Registrant:

  1. Must be at least 18 years of age, present a valid driver’s license or non-driver photo ID, and apply in person.
  2. Must present a valid N.H. driver’s license or N.H. non-driver photo ID to qualify for resident rates.
  3. Must provide the following vehicle information: year of manufacture, make, model, displacement, primary and secondary colors, and V.I.N. OHRVs are not titled in N.H. — no title, bill of sale or previous registration is required.
  4. Must present a unique number received from NHSA or NHOHVA, in a format approved by the Department, as proof of qualification for club member rates. (Subject to change pending legislation; see ride.nh.gov for updates).
  5. Will receive a registration certificate and 2 decals.
  6. Is responsible for verifying that their registration and machine information is correct before leaving the registration agent.
  7. Must affix the decals as noted on page 7.

Nonresident Temporary 10-Day OHRV Registrations

Available only at select agents. A temporary 10-day registration is only available during the months of May to October 2018 to nonresidents registering a wheeled vehicle. The registration is valid for 10 consecutive days from the start date and time specified on the registration and cannot be replaced or transferred. Presentation of a valid out-of-state driver’s license is required.

Tracked OHRVs

In order to operate on state-approved snowmobile trails, an OHRV (wheeled vehicle) that has had the wheels or tires removed and replaced with tracks, cleats or skis, MUST be properly registered in New Hampshire as a snowmobile.

The tracked OHRV must meet the definition of a snowmobile as defined by law. The OHRV, with the tracks on, cannot exceed 54 inches in width and 1,200 pounds.

A snowmobile registration is only required to operate on snowmobile trails. If only operating on frozen lakes, etc., with tracks or as a wheeled vehicle, just a New Hampshire OHRV registration is required.

Machines operated as a tracked OHRV on snowmobile trails in the winter, and as a wheeled OHRV must be dually registered in New Hampshire; both an OHRV and snowmobile registration are required. Both sets of decal stickers must be displayed on the machine.

Replacement of
Lost/Destroyed Registration Certificate

Registrants who have lost or destroyed their current season’s registration certificate may request a duplicate from Fish and Game in writing on a form provided by the Department (available at wildnh.com/ohrv/registration.html or call 603-271-4300). The fee for a duplicate registration certificate is $5.


Did You Know?
Most of Your Registration Fee Goes to Trail Maintenance

While the N.H. Fish and Game Department collects the fees from the issuance of OHRV and snowmobile registrations, most of this money does not stay at Fish and Game.

As you can see from the charts, a majority of your registration fee goes to the N.H. Bureau of Trails (DNCR) for maintenance of the trail system.

Approximately 81% of snowmobile registration fees and 65% of wheeled vehicle registration fees collected go to the Bureau of Trails, which in turn distributes Grants-in-Aid to local clubs for trail maintenance, equipment and operations. Only a small portion of the money is retained by Fish and Game — these are dedicated funds used for OHRV and snowmobile Law Enforcement, safety education and the registration program. RSA 215-A:23, 215-C:39