Migratory Game Bird Regulations

Hunting Regulations Icon Nevada Hunting

In Nevada, migratory game bird seasons are established for ducks and mergansers, coots and moorhens (gallinules), common snipe, Canada and white fronted geese, snow geese and Ross’ geese. Migratory waterfowl are a subgroup of migratory game birds, and include ducks, mergansers, geese, and swans.

Stamp Requirements

A Federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting Stamp ($27 at NDOW) is required for any person age 16 or older who hunts any migratory waterfowl (ducks, mergansers, geese, and swans).

Note: Shotguns must be plugged to limit overall shotshell capacity to 3 when hunting all migratory birds. (Note: See Snow and Ross’ geese season for exception.)

Species ID

Head or fully feathered wing must remain attached to bird while in transit from the field to the hunter’s residence for ducks, mergansers, coots and moorhens, snipe, geese, and swan.

HIP Number

Any person, except a Nevada resident under 12, who plans to hunt any kind of migratory game bird, including ducks, geese, swans, coots, dove, snipe, or moorhens in Nevada this year, is required to ANNUALLY obtain a Harvest Information Program (HIP) validation number and write it on their hunting license before entering the field. The validation number is free and is available by going online to www.ndowlicensing.com or calling 1-855-542-6369. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is conducting the nationwide harvest survey.

Additionally, NDOW would like migratory bird hunters to complete an online questionnaire at the conclusion of the season.

Zone Designations

 Northeast Zone

Elko and White Pine Counties.

 Northwest Zone

Carson City, Churchill, Douglas, Esmeralda, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lyon, Mineral, Nye, Pershing, Storey and Washoe Counties.

 South Zone

Lincoln and Clark Counties.

Mid-Season Closures

• Northeast Zone closed Oct. 21-29

• Northwest Zone closed Jan. 4–12

• South Zone closed Oct. 26–27

Small Game Hunt Surveys

The small game hunt questionnaire (upland game birds, rabbits, and waterfowl) can be found online in February of each year at www.ndowlicensing.com. Even though this is a voluntary questionnaire, we encourage those sportsmen that pursue these species to do their best to track their hunting excursions in terms of number of days hunted, what county they hunted in and how many animals were taken. These surveys typically close around the end of April. This information is instrumental in helping the Nevada Department of Wildlife determine harvest estimates each year and make recommendations for upcoming seasons and bag limits.

Federal Migratory Bird Stamp

The Federal Migratory Bird Stamp is now an electronic stamp privilege. The physical stamps are NO LONGER available at NDOW offices or NDOW license agents that sold them in the past. However, the US post offices will continue to sell the physical stamp. You can purchase your electronic Federal Migratory Bird Stamp privilege at the NDOW Online Consumer site (www.ndowlicensing.com), at NDOW offices, and from most license agents. The privilege is valid for 45 days to allow for receipt of the physical Federal Migratory Bird stamp in the mail from the USFWS. Once the physical stamp is received it must be signed and affixed to the license. For assistance, contact NDOW’s License Office at Toll Free 855-542-6369.