License Requirements

Oregon Bird Hunting

Licenses, permits, validations, tags, and controlled hunt applications can be obtained at license agents throughout the state, online or through ODFW’s Salem headquarters office by mail, fax, or in person.

All Hunters

  • Every hunter must have in his or her possession a valid hunting license (See below for specific category types).
  • No hunter may possess more than one valid Oregon hunting license. However, for the purpose of acquiring preference points under the controlled hunts system and hunting big game, a youth between the ages of 9 and 11 may hold both a free youth Game Bird Hunting license and a youth license.
  • Annual hunting licenses are valid through Dec. 31 of each year. Hunts extending into the following calendar year require a new hunting license.
  • Depending on the species of bird you are hunting, you must have a federal waterfowl stamp, migratory HIP validation, and/or state game bird validations to hunt.
    • To obtain a migratory HIP validation, hunters may go to any license agent, obtain online or by mail. Please note: HIP is no longer required to hunt upland game birds or crow.
    • Federal stamps and state validations are in effect from Jul. 1 – Jun. 30 of the following year.
    • Any person 16 years of age or older must have a signed (in ink across the face), valid federal waterfowl stamp in his or her possession to hunt ducks and geese.
    • No federal waterfowl stamp is required for band-tailed pigeon, mourning dove, crow, coot, or snipe hunting.
  • To hunt band-tailed pigeons, brant, sea ducks, or NW Oregon geese, a separate permit for each is required .

Oregon Residents

  • Oregon residents 18 years of age and older must obtain a resident hunting, combination or Sports Pac license to hunt in Oregon.
    • A person who has resided in Oregon at least six months immediately prior to the date of making application for a license, tag or permit issued by the State Fish and Wildlife Commission. Temporary absence from the state for a purpose other than establishing residency outside the state shall not be considered in determining whether a person meets the residency requirement.
    • These requirements are waived for certain active members of the uniformed services and for some foreign exchange students.
    • Submitting a false application is a crime.
    • For hunters 17 years of age and younger, please refer to Youth section.
  • Oregon residents must obtain appropriate validations to hunt in Oregon.
    • Residents 12 years of age or older must have a state waterfowl validation included on their hunting license and in their possession to hunt ducks, mergansers, geese and coots. See information on federal stamp requirements above.
    • Residents 12 years of age or older must have a state upland game bird validation included on their hunting license and in their possession to hunt pheasant, grouse, quail and partridge.

Youth (Resident and Nonresident)

  • All youths 17 years of age and younger must have a Hunter Education Certificate or a department issued document (ex. hunting license) which includes their Hunter Education Certificate Number in their possession to hunt anywhere except on their own land or land owned by their parent or legal guardian. For Hunter Education class information or to obtain a replacement copy of a hunter safety card, call the Hunter Education office in Salem at 503-947-6028.
  • Obtain a hunting license.
    • All hunters 11 years of age and under can obtain a FREE youth Game Bird Hunting license (to hunt game birds).
    • Hunters 12-17 years of age can buy a youth license at a reduced fee.
    • Youths 13 years of age and under while hunting on property other than their own must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older.
  • Tag, validation, and application requirements.
    • Youths 11 years of age and under are required to obtain a FREE license or purchase a youth license in order to purchase a brant permit, band-tailed pigeon permit, sea duck permit, turkey tags, or apply for sage-grouse permits and waterfowl reservation hunts.
    • Youth 12 years of age or older must obtain applicable state youth waterfowl and youth upland validations. See ALL HUNTERS for federal waterfowl stamp requirements.


  • All nonresidents who want to hunt in Oregon must obtain a nonresident hunting license if they are 18 years of age or older.
  • For hunters 17 years of age and younger, please refer to Youth section above.
  • A 3-Day Nonresident Hunting License for game birds and crow is valid for three consecutive days.
    • Applicable game bird validations, permits, and turkey tags are required along with this hunting license.
    • This license is not valid to apply for controlled bird hunts. To apply for controlled bird hunts, a regular nonresident hunting license is required.
  • Nonresidents 18 years of age or older must have a game bird validation included on their hunting license or included on their 3-day nonresident hunting license and in their possession to hunt ducks, mergansers, geese, coots, pheasants, grouse, quail and partridge.


  • Obtain a hunting license.
    • Resident landowners can obtain a FREE landowner license to hunt game birds on their own property, except for brant, band-tailed pigeon, sea duck, sage-grouse and turkey (spring and fall). For these hunt types, a regular hunting license and applicable tags and permits are required for landowners hunting on their own property.
  • Landowners must obtain appropriate validations to hunt including:
    • Migratory HIP may be required.
    • If 12 years of age or older, state validation(s) may be required. See ALL HUNTERS for federal waterfowl stamp requirements.

Know before you go:
Check fire restrictions!

It is a hunter’s responsibility to check fire restrictions before heading afield. Check with the land manager where you plan to hunt. To see a list of industrial forestland closures/restrictions visit www.oregon.gov/ODF and click on Wildfires/Forest Restrictions & Closures.

Most common fire restrictions

  • No smoking
  • No off-road driving
  • No exploding targets or tracer ammunition
  • Check if camp/warming fires are allowed. If open fires are permitted, make sure the fire is truly out when you’re done.


Before hunting waterfowl and other migratory game birds (mourning doves, band-tailed pigeons, snipe), you must obtain a Migratory HIP Validation by answering “yes” when asked whether you intend to hunt migratory game birds when purchasing a hunting license, resident waterfowl validation, or nonresident game bird validation. If you don’t, you can still answer “yes” at a later date by requesting a Migratory HIP Validation. Evidence of compliance will be noted on your hunting license as a “Migratory HIP Validation”. That’s it! There is no cost to you.

How does HIP work? Of the total group of HIP validated migratory game bird hunters, the USFWS will select necessary samples of hunter to participate in providing harvest information. Selected hunters will receive hunter record cards prior to hunting seasons or soon thereafter. Hunters will be asked to record their daily harvest of birds and return the completed record card at the end of the hunting season.

Why HIP? Your participation in this program means that important information will be available to wildlife professionals to better manage Oregon’s wildlife resources. Hunter participation and migratory game bird harvest levels are needed to assist in setting regulations and justify future hunting seasons.

Thanks! Your cooperation is essential to responsible resource management and is greatly appreciated.