Disabilities Hunting & Fishing Permit Information

Oregon Bird Hunting

In order to be considered a person with a disability under the wildlife laws, a person shall provide either:

  1. Written certification from a licensed physician, physician assistant or certified nurse practitioner, that states that the applicant:
    1. Is permanently unable to walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, prosthetic device, wheelchair, scooter, or walker;
    2. Is restricted by lung disease to the extent that the person’s forced expiratory volume for one second, when measured by a spirometer, is less than 35% predicted, or arterial oxygen tension is less than 55 mm/Hg on room air at rest;
    3. Has a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV, according to standards established by the American Heart Association.
    4. Has a permanent, physical impairment that prevent the person from holding or shooting a firearm or bow or from holding a fishing rod in hand; or
    5. Has central visual acuity that permanently does not exceed 20/200 in the better eye with corrective lenses, or the widest diameter of the visual field is no greater than 20 degrees; or
  2. Written proof that the last official certification of record by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States shows the person to be at least 65% disabled (ORS 496. 018).

The Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit is not a license or tag. Hunters must still obtain a hunting license and apply for and/or purchase appropriate tags/permits/reservations prior to specified tag sale deadlines to hunt in game bird and big game seasons. You must be in possession of your Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit, license and tags/permits/reservations while you are hunting.

An able-bodied companion may accompany a person with this permit and kill any animal wounded by the permit holder. The companion must immediately attach the permit holder’s tag to the carcass of the animal. The companion is not required to possess a hunting license or tag, except that a person accompanying a visually impaired hunter is required to possess a valid hunting license.[(OAR 635-065-0090(3)].

The following applies for persons defined in 1(e): “A person who is not visually impaired and who accompanies a hunter who possesses an Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit may: assist the hunter in selecting a game animal or bird; assist the aiming or sighting of a firearm; advise the hunter when to fire a firearm; shoot a game animal or bird on behalf of the hunter while in the immediate presence of the hunter; and tag and retrieve game animals and birds on behalf of the hunter.”

The person accompanying a hunter who is visually impaired is required to possess a valid hunting license. The person accompanying a visually impaired hunter may also hunt game animals or birds if the person possesses the appropriate tags, permits, reservations and stamps for the area and time period. A visually impaired hunter must comply with all other tag, permit, reservation and stamp requirements of the State Fish and Wildlife Commission and applicable hunting laws (ORS 498.170).

An Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit Holder May:

  • Hunt from a parked motor-propelled vehicle except on any public Rd or hwy. A public Rd is the entire right of way of any Rd over which the public has a right of use. Public Rds include, but are not limited to, Rd related structures that are in the right of way such as tunnels, bridges, or similar structures. Rds on federal, state, or local government lands are public Rds. Hunting from a parked motor vehicle is allowed on private land with the landowner’s permission and on public land where off-road travel is permitted.

NOTE: FEDERAL MIGRATORY GAME BIRD EXCEPTION: No persons shall take migratory game birds from or by means, aid, or use of any motor vehicle, motor driven land conveyance, or aircraft of any kind, except that paraplegics and persons missing one or both legs may take from any stationary motor vehicle or stationary motor-driven land conveyance.

Permit Application

For more information or to obtain an “Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit” application packet, please visit our website at www.myodfw.com/articles/oregon-disabilities-hunting-and-fishing-permit-information. Application packets are also available at the ODFW Salem Headquarters Office, full service offices (Department of Fish & Wildlife), district offices, or by calling 503-947-6101.

Please note: Permits are valid for five calendar years. To renew a permit, the holder must submit a new, updated application form.