Licenses & Permits

Hunting Regulations Icon Oklahoma Hunting

Hunting Licenses

License requirements are listed by game animal throughout this book. For many wildlife species a “hunting license” is one of those requirements. There are many different types of “hunting licenses” that meet this requirement, and rather than listing all of them with every species, we have listed them below. So, if a “hunting license” is required, you must possess any one of the following:

If you are a resident a “hunting license” is any one of the following:

  • Annual Hunting License
  • Annual Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • Annual Youth Hunting License
  • Annual Youth Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • Fiscal-Year Hunting License
  • Fiscal-Year Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • Fiscal-Year Youth Hunting License
  • Fiscal-Year Youth Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • 5-Year Hunting License
  • 5-Year Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • 5-Year Disability Hunting License
  • Lifetime Hunting License
  • Lifetime Combination Hunting/Fishing License
  • Lifetime Disabled Veteran Combination Hunting/Fishing License (under 60 percent disability)
  • Lifetime Disabled Veteran Combination Hunting/Fishing License (60 percent or more disability)
  • Lifetime Senior Citizen Hunting License
  • Lifetime Senior Citizen Combination Hunting/Fishing LicenseIf you are a nonresident a “hunting license” is any one of the following:
  • Nonresident Annual Hunting License
  • Nonresident Fiscal-Year Hunting License
  • Nonresident 5-Day Hunting LicenseNote: Nonresidents who hold a resident lifetime license (hunting or combination) have the same exemptions as a resident lifetime license-holder.The Nonresident Lifetime Hunting, Nonresident Lifetime Combination Hunting/Fishing, Lifetime Nonresident Small Game Hunting and Lifetime Nonresident Combination Small Game Hunting/Fishing licenses are no longer available for purchase. However, these licenses are honored for people already possessing one.

Resident vs. Nonresident

What’s the difference?

A “Resident” is any individual who has an established residence in Oklahoma for a period of not less than 60 consecutive days immediately preceding the date the application for a license is submitted. (Note: For the lifetime, senior, and 5-year licenses, the period of residency must be six months or more. For lifetime and senior lifetime, applicants must intend to remain Oklahoma residents as specified on application.) The burden of establishing proof of residency is on the person claiming residency status. A person holding a valid driver license shall be deemed to be a resident of the state issuing the license or permit.

For a valid Oklahoma driver license to be used as the sole source of proof of residency, it shall have been issued not less than 60 days prior to submission of the application. If a person does not hold a valid driver license, the Department may consider other reliable documentation for establishing proof of residency including, but not limited to, resident income tax returns, voter registration, motor vehicle or vessel registrations, and other public records documenting residence.

Residency status of children younger than 18 is presumed to be that of the custodial parent, including a custodial parent when there is a joint custody order and the physical custody of the child is shared by both parents, or legal guardian unless otherwise documented. Ownership or possession of real property in the state by a person residing outside the state shall not qualify the person as a resident. A person is not entitled to claim multiple states of residence, with the exception of active-duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces, and any dependents, when applying for annual licenses.

A “Nonresident” is any individual who is a resident of another state or who has resided in Oklahoma for a period of less than 60 days, regardless of whether he or she intends to make Oklahoma his or her home.

I’m a Resident Hunter. What Licenses Do I Need?

This is a reference chart only. Please read through this guide for complete information about hunter education, license requirements, and exemptions. This chart does not apply to good-for-life licenses such as the lifetime hunting or senior citizen licenses. See License Exemptions for information on lifetime licenses exemptions.

Species Hunted

License(s) residents need:

Deer: Archery Hunting license & Deer archery license for each deer hunted (must be valid for the current calendar year)
Deer: Youth Gun All: Youth deer gun license (antlered or antlerless) for each deer hunted. In addition:

• 16-17 years old: hunting license

• Younger than 16: exempt from hunting license

• Youths may also harvest a turkey in counties having a fall rifle turkey season, provided the hunter has a Fall turkey license.

Deer: Muzzleloader Hunting license & Deer muzzleloader license (antlered or antlerless) for each deer hunted
Deer: Gun Hunting license & Deer gun license (antlered or antlerless) for each deer hunted
Deer: Holiday Antlerless Hunting license & Holiday antlerless deer gun license
Elk Hunting license & Elk license for each elk hunted and written landowner permission
Antelope Hunting license & Antelope license for each antelope hunted and written landowner permission
Bear: Archery Hunting license & Bear license (Must be purchased prior to the start of archery season.)
Bear: Muzzleloader Hunting license & Bear license

(must be purchased prior to the start of muzzleloader season).
An unfilled bear archery license is also valid

Squirrel, Rabbit or Prairie Dog Hunting license
Hog (feral swine) No hunting license is required to pursue hog, except on public lands (see Hog Regulations for public land information.) However, individuals pursuing hog on private land during any open big game gun or muzzleloader seasons must have the appropriate license for that season.
Quail & Pheasant Hunting license
Turkey: Fall Archery Hunting license & Fall turkey license
Turkey: Fall Gun Hunting license & Fall turkey license
Turkey: Youth Spring Hunting license & Spring turkey license
Turkey: Spring Hunting license & Spring turkey license for each bird hunted
Dove, Rail (sora & Virginia), Gallinule (purple gallinule & common moorhen), Woodcock, Common Snipe Hunting license & HIP (Harvest Information Program) permit
Teal, Resident Canada Goose,

Waterfowl (Ducks, Geese)

Hunting license & HIP (Harvest Information Program) permit & State Waterfowl Stamp & Federal Migratory Bird Stamp

All active-duty U.S. military personnel regardless of duty station or state of residency along with their dependents may purchase any resident annual license with documentation of active-duty status.