Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Furbearer Regulations

License Requirements

  • Resident: A hunting license (see Licenses & Permits) or proof of exemption.

    In addition to a hunting license, a trapping license is required for all persons who trap any furbearer, unless otherwise exempt. The trapping license is valid from Dec. 1, 2016 – Feb. 28, 2017.

    A fur license (bobcat-raccoon-river otter-gray/red fox license) is required for all persons (regardless of age) who take these species by any means (trapping, firearms or archery) unless exempt. The fur license is valid from Dec. 1, 2016 – Feb. 28, 2017.

    Lifetime licenses (lifetime hunting, lifetime combination, senior citizen hunting, senior citizen combination or lifetime disabled veteran) are exempt from the fur license and the trapping license.

  • Nonresident: A nonresident hunting license (see Licenses & Permits) or proof of exemption.

    In addition, a nonresident (professional) trapping license is required for all persons who trap any furbearer. This trapping license is valid from Dec. 1, 2016 – Feb. 28, 2017.

    A nonresident fur license (bobcat-raccoon-river otter-gray/red fox license) is required for all persons who take these species by any means (trapping, firearms or archery). Such license is valid Dec. 1, 2016 – Feb. 28, 2017.

Public Lands

Seasons on public lands may vary from statewide seasons. Consult Special Regulations: Public Fishing & Hunting Areas.

Hunter Orange

For hunter orange requirements, see E-Check, Deer Processors & Hunter Orange.

Sale of Carcasses

Carcasses or parts of legally acquired furbearing animals and coyotes may be purchased, bartered, traded, sold or offered for sale.

Bobcat & River Otter Tagging Requirements

No bobcat or river otter pelt may be held in possession after 10 working days after the close of furbearer season by the taker or buyer, sold, purchased or bartered within Oklahoma, nor taken out of Oklahoma, without having first affixed a permanent tag to the pelt. This tag shall serve as an export tag. The tag must be affixed by an authorized employee of the Department or designated private tagging agent.

It is the responsibility of the possessor of the bobcat or river otter pelt, not the Department, to ensure that the pelt is legally tagged. No untagged bobcat or river otter harvested in another state may be possessed in Oklahoma. Tags are available from any game warden, wildlife biologist, state fish hatchery, Department field office and specifically designated private tagging station. Designated private tagging stations may charge a fee of 75 cents per tag. 2016-2017 bobcat or river otter export tags will not be affixed after March 14 , 2017.

Sale of Furs

Persons taking pelts during the season shall have 10 working days after the close of the season to sell or dispose of the pelts or notify the Department in writing of intent to hold pelts after the 10-day deadline. All pelts held after the 10-day deadline must be inventoried on a form provided by an authorized Department employee. All bobcats and river otters must have a permanent tag affixed for the current year, prior to being held for later sale.

Possession of Carcasses or Hides

It shall be illegal to possess live animals, carcasses or raw furs of ringtail, spotted skunk or swift fox unless it can be proven that each carcass or hide was taken legally outside of Oklahoma. Proof of legality or origin for carcasses or green hides shall be a tag or other marking or device attached to or imprinted on each and every hide in such a way that it cannot be removed intact. The tag or marking must be the official method used by the issuing agency. If an identification is not required by the issuing agency, a hunting or trapping license appropriate to the species taken is required as proof.

Tagging Hints

All bobcats and otters must be tagged with a plastic tag that is looped under the skin from the eye to the mouth. If you choose to freeze your bobcat or otter whole prior to tagging, it is best to open a 1/2-inch wide slot under the skin from the eye to the gum line with a knife or sharp screwdriver and install some sort of spacer that can be removed later to allow tagging once the bobcat or otter is frozen.

Taking these few simple steps will allow the spacer to be removed and the tag attached in the proper location without having to thaw the bobcat or otter. Otherwise, partially thaw the carcass before taking it to be tagged.

Legal Means of Taking

Firearms or Archery

  • Daylight only: Any legal firearm or archery equipment.
  • Nighttime only: Hunters may possess a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or .22 caliber rimfire pistol and a light carried on the person while in pursuit of furbearers with hounds during the legal, open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license, unless exempt.
  • Laser sights: Nothing in this section shall prevent a person from possessing a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or pistol with a laser sighting device while hunting or taking furbearers with hounds during legal, open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license.


  • Legal traps: Box traps; smooth-jawed, single-spring, leg-hold steel traps with a jaw spread no greater than eight inches; smooth-jawed, double-spring offset jawed, leg-hold steel traps with a jaw spread no greater than eight inches; enclosed trigger traps (dog-proof traps). Any trap not listed here is illegal.
  • Setting traps: No trap may be set in the open or in paths, roads, or runways commonly used by persons, dogs or other domestic animals.
  • Visiting traps: Traps must be tended once each 24-hour period.
  • Legal number of traps: Residents trapping under the general annual resident trapping license may use no more than 20 traps. Residents possessing a lifetime hunting license or a professional trapping license, and nonresident trapping license holders have no limit on the number of traps.
  • Identification of traps: All traps shall bear the name of the owner of the traps, except for any traps set on property owned or leased by the owner of the traps. All traps on Department-managed lands, regardless of species being sought, must have the owner’s name attached.
  • Posting of traps: When smooth-jawed double-spring offset traps are used, the posting of signs shall be required at all entrances from public roads and highways. The requirement to post signs shall not apply if the person is trapping on property owned or leased by the person. Signs must have minimum dimensions of five inches by eight inches and the wording “Traps” must be included and be conspicuous on the signs and printed in letters at least two inches tall. Persons trapping on their own property are not subject to this requirement.
  • Permission to trap: No person may trap on the inhabited land of another without first obtaining from the owner or occupant thereof a written permit to do so. This permit must be carried whenever traps are being tended. Said permission is also required to hunt but it need not be in writing.

Exemptions from Regulations

Nothing in this regulation prevents the killing of furbearers actually found destroying livestock or poultry. In addition, nothing in this regulation prevents the running or chasing of coyote, bobcat, fox or raccoon with dogs for sport only, except on those public lands where such activity is prohibited.

River Otter & WEASEL

Dates & Open Areas

Dec. 1, 2016 – Feb. 28, 2017; statewide.


  • Bobcat: No daily limit, season limit 20, possession limit 20 per license.
  • Gray Fox / Red Fox: Daily combined limit two, with no more than one red fox. Season combined limit six, with no more than two red foxes.
  • Raccoon: Daily limit 10, season limit 40, possession limit 40 per license.
  • River Otter: No daily limit, season limit four.
  • Other species: No limit.


Dates & Open Areas

Year-round; statewide.


No daily, season or possession limit.


Dates & Open Areas

Closed statewide year-round.


Dates & Open Areas

Open year-round, except it shall be unlawful to hunt, take or attempt to take coyotes from dark to daylight with the aid of any artificial light and/or any sight dog.


No daily, season or possession limit.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: