North Carolina Hunting & Fishing
It is unlawful to do any of the following:
- Take a cub (less than 75 pounds) or a female bear with cub(s).
- Hunt bear on a designated bear sanctuary. (See the information below on bear sanctuaries.)
Bear may not be taken in those parts of counties included in the following sanctuaries:
- Bachelor Bay Bear Sanctuary Bertie and Washington counties
- Columbus County Bear SanctuaryBrunswick and Columbus counties
- Croatan Bear SanctuaryCarteret, Craven and Jones counties
- Daniel Boone Bear Sanctuary (except by permit only)Avery, Burke and Caldwell counties
- Dare Bear Sanctuary (except by permit only)Dare and Hyde counties
- Fires Creek Bear SanctuaryClay County
- Flat Top Bear SanctuaryMitchell and Yancey counties
- Green Swamp Bear SanctuaryBrunswick County
- Gull Rock Bear SanctuaryHyde County
- Harmon Den Bear SanctuaryHaywood County
- Juniper Creek Bear SanctuaryBrunswick and Columbus counties
- Mt. Mitchell Bear Sanctuary (except by permit only)McDowell and Yancey counties
- North River Bear SanctuaryCamden and Currituck counties
- Panthertown-Bonas Defeat Bear SanctuaryJackson County
- Pisgah Bear SanctuaryBuncombe, Haywood, Henderson and Transylvania counties
- Pungo River Bear SanctuaryHyde County
- Rich Mountain Bear SanctuaryMadison County
- Sherwood Bear SanctuaryHaywood County
- Standing Indian Bear SanctuaryMacon County
- Suggs Mill Pond Bear SanctuaryBladen and Cumberland counties
- Thurmond Chatham Bear SanctuaryAllegheny and Wilkies counties
- Wayah Bear SanctuaryMacon County
The following additional restrictions apply to bear sanctuaries:
- Dogs may not be used to pursue bear, except during permit hunts that allow hunting bear with dogs.
- It is unlawful to take feral swine on bear sanctuaries except during the deer archery season, deer blackpowder season, deer gun season and any small game season using only weapons and manner of take prescribed for that hunting season.
- Dogs may not be used to take feral swine.
- It is unlawful to train dogs or allow dogs to run unleashed on bear sanctuaries in and west of Madison, Buncombe, Henderson and Polk counties from March 1 until the Monday on or nearest Oct. 15.