Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!

License Information

Brought to you by:

General License Regulations

  • With a few exceptions (see License Exemptions below), a valid hunting license issued by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and applicable state or federal stamp privileges are required to hunt any wild animal on public or private land in Indiana.
  • To qualify for resident hunting licenses, a person must have established a true fixed and permanent home and primary residence in Indiana for 60 consecutive days prior to purchasing a license or permit and not claim residency for hunting, trapping or fishing in another state or country. All others are nonresidents.
  • A hunting license (and applicable stamp privileges and federal stamps or permits and HIP number) must have an original signature and be carried with you while hunting and produced on the request of an Indiana Conservation Officer or other authorized law enforcement officer.
  • Anyone born after Dec. 31, 1986 must successfully complete a DNR-offered hunter education class to purchase an Indiana hunting license (see below for Disabled Hunter and Apprentice License exceptions).
  • Lost or damaged licenses can be reprinted online. Go to A $3 service charge applies for reprints made more than 5 days after the original purchase date.
  • Game bird or waterfowl stamp privileges must have an original signature, in ink, on the license. A traditional stamp is not required in addition to the purchase of this stamp privilege. Traditional game bird or waterfowl stamps are available for purchase as a commemorative issue. Commemorative stamps, which do not convey hunting privileges, are available through the DNR Customer Service Center.
  • DNR-issued licenses may be revoked at the discretion of a court upon conviction of fish and wildlife law violations, or at the discretion of the Department for non-compliance with conditions under which licenses are issued.
  • Licenses are non-transferable and non-refundable.

How to Purchase a Hunting or Trapping License

1. Online …

Go to

2. In Person …

Visit one of the over 800 retailers statewide at or visit the DNR Customer Service Center. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

3. By Mail …

Send a check or money order (payable to DNR) or Visa or MasterCard (include number, expiration date) to:


DNR Customer Service Center

402 W. Washington St., W160

Indianapolis, IN, 46204

Allow 2-3 weeks for delivery. Include the following information:

  • Specify the license(s) and season (e.g., deer muzzleloader)
  • Name, date of birth, Indiana Driver’s License number and Social Security number (required by IC 14-22-11-3)
  • Hunter education certificate number if born after Dec. 31, 1986
  • Complete address, city, state, Zip code and phone number
  • Height, weight, color of hair and color of eyes

4. By Phone …

Call (317) 232-4200

Nonresident Private Shooting Preserve

Nonresidents must purchase a nonresident shooting preserve license and any applicable stamp privilege requirements for species they are hunting at a private shooting preserve. The nonresident private shooting preserve license expires April 30, immediately following the date the license is effective. The nonresident shooting preserve license is $17 and the nonresident youth shooting preserve license is $7.

Persons with Disabilities

Individuals with a disability that prevents them from being able to hunt wild animals under regular hunting regulations may request a special permit from the DNR.

For rules or application forms, contact the Division of Fish and Wildlife, 402 W. Washington St., W273, Indianapolis, IN 46204; (317) 232-4102 or at

Individuals with certain permanent developmental disabilities as defined in state law may apply for a conditional hunter education card. The individual must first take the hunter education class. Call DNR Law Enforcement at (317) 232-4011 for more information.

A disability is defined as a physical impairment resulting from injury or disease, excluding impairment due to the normal aging process.

Special permits may allow those who cannot walk or have serious walking limitations to hunt from a vehicle or gain special vehicle access on public property.

Hunter Education

Anyone born after Dec. 31, 1986 must successfully complete a DNR-offered hunter education class to purchase a hunting license. See apprentice license exception. Hunters certified in another state or Canada can also present a card or certificate and purchase an Indiana hunting license.

The DNR offers hunter education courses in counties throughout the state. The program takes approximately 10 hours to complete. For information on classes in your area, see or contact the nearest hunter education office:

Apprentice Licenses

A resident or nonresident can buy an apprentice hunting license without having to take a hunter education class. An individual can purchase up to three apprentice hunting licenses, of any combination, in his/her lifetime before needing to take a DNR-offered hunter education class.

While hunting, the apprentice hunter at all times must be in close proximity to and able to communicate with a hunter who is at least 18 years old and has a valid hunting license (unless exempt from needing a hunting license). The individual who accompanies the apprentice hunter cannot accompany more than two apprentice hunters at one time while afield.

The apprentice resident youth hunt/trap license includes the same licenses and stamps as the regular resident youth hunt/trap license; it only exempts the license holder from needing to take a hunter education class.

Landowners or lessees of farmland and their children living with them who meet the requirements for license exemptions listed above also are exempt from needing an apprentice hunting license.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Indiana Department of Natural Resources allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Indiana Department of Natural Resources Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: