Skip to main content



Persons with Disabilities

WDFW may issue a disability designation to a person with a permanent disability under certain conditions meeting ADA.

WDFW Disability Status:

A person with a disability is a person who has a permanent physical or developmental disability which substantially impairs their ability to participate in recreational activities or to access department lands.


WAC 220-200-160, WAC 220-200-170, WAC 220-200-180, WAC 220-200-190, WAC 220-413-140, WAC 220-413-210.

All ADA WAC language is available online at:

Disabled Hunter Program:

A hunter with a disability means a person who has been granted a disability designation and issued a valid disabled hunter endorsement on their license by the department.

The hunter with a disability issued a disability endorsement will receive a designated hunter companion card. The hunter companion card allows a licensed hunter to assist the disabled hunter with that physical function the hunter with a disability is unable to perform. The hunter companion must be in the physical presence of the disabled hunter, not to exceed a ¼ mile separation. The hunter and companion must have a form of reliable and direct communication. A hunter with a disability may no longer possess a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, or shoot from a motor vehicle, unless the hunter with a disability has been issued a special use permit from the department. In addition, it is unlawful for a hunter with a disability to utilize a crossbow in archery or muzzleloader season, unless the hunter with a disability has been issued a special use permit from the department. (For complete ADA hunting information and definitions, please refer to WAC 220-413-140.)

Special Use Permits:

A special use permit issued by the department sets forth terms and conditions to allow for special accommodations for persons granted a permanent disability designation. All specialized accommodations will now be processed through the special use permit program located in the Licensing Department. Special accommodations are issued on a case-by-case basis. (For complete ADA special use permit information and definitions, please refer to WAC 220-200-170.)

Road Access Entry Program

This program accommodates hunters with a mobility disability unable to walk 200’ feet, or who have been medically prescribed the use of an assistive device every time for mobility such as; a wheelchair, walker, crutch, prosthetic, leg brace, or oxygen. Many new opportunities are being developed and existing areas may rotate due to current activities within those areas.

Access roads are identified through signage at the gated entry points. Hunters drawn for access will receive a special use permit for entry.

These opportunities are in cooperation with the Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR), U.S. Forest Service (USFS), Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), and private timber and landowner companies.

The Road Access Entry Booklet is available by request only after June 1st at any WDFW Office. Submissions are accepted from June 1st thru July 31 of each year. Entries are accepted online at:

For information about opportunities on DNR lands only, call (360) 902-1375.

For other information about the Road Access Entry Program, please call WDFW at (360) 902-2247.

Disabled Trapper Program:

A trapper with a disability means a person who has been granted a disability designation and issued a valid disabled hunter endorsement on their trapper license by the department.

Disability Hunting Licenses & Tags:

Other opportunities are available through the special deer and elk permit drawings in this pamphlet. Accessible duck and goose blinds are located around the state on private, state, and federal lands. Each regional office has ADA opportunities and accessible facilities located within its district. They can help you with your hunting prospects for that specific area.

The Private Lands Access Program provides hunting access to 1.5 million acres of private land. Enrolled properties can be found at:

For questions about your license or to request a Hunter/Fisher Disability Status application contact:

  • WDFW Licensing Division: (360) 902-2464
  • Hearing impaired TTD: 711

To request a Special Use Permit application, contact the ADA Manager at (360) 902-2349

  • Hearing impaired TTD: 711
  • For Wildlife questions: (360) 902-2515
  • Hunter Education questions: (360) 902-8111

Tired of Criminals Poaching our Fish and Wildlife and Destroying Public Lands?

Attend a Crime Observation & Reporting Training (CORT) class and become a “Certified Witness” for our resources.

CORT Classes Marked “FIXED” will not be canceled for lack of attendance!!! Join us in protecting Washington's fish and wildlife by attending a 2-hour EITW (CORT) class. Learn from WDFW Enforcement Officers how to identify, document and report natural resource crimes. Become part of a network of trained citizens dedicated to reducing poaching and other natural resource abuses through this non-confrontational expert witness program. We must have 10 people registered 2-days prior to most classes or they will be canceled.

Use the EITW Web-Calendar to locate and register for a CORT class.

Or contact your EITW Regional Training Coordinator Listed in the “Contact Us” webpage.

The Eyes In The Woods Association (EITW) is a non-profit organization dedicated to assisting the professionals that protect and manage our fish and wildlife. Our goal is to create a resource of trained citizen volunteers devoted to the protection and perpetuation of our fish, wildlife, habitat, access to the outdoors and respectful use of private & public lands. Working with WDFW Staff, we continue to develop and expand projects and programs that volunteers can participate in; Property Watch, Stream Watch, wildlife studies, enforcement and habitat enhancement projects are areas you can assist with. Help us grow; we need volunteers in leadership roles within each program.

Join our Facebook Group and check our web-calendar for info!