License Information & Requirements
3 Ways to Buy Your License:
Vendor OutletsGet your license immediately at any of our 600 license vendors. For a vendor near you, visit: wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/vendors Internet fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov Buy online 24 hours a day.
Telephone1-866-246-9453 Please Note: Internet and telephone orders may take up to 7-10 business days to deliver your license in the mail.
Licensing InformationLicense requirements and fees are set by the Washington State Legislature. Licenses are based on an April 1-March 31 license year. There are no senior citizen discounts on hunting licenses, tags, or permits. A "youth" is defined as a resident or non-resident under 16 years of age at the time of license purchase.
Social Security NumbersFederal and state law requires persons 15 or older to give their Social Security Number in order to obtain a license. (Federal Law US Code: Title 42, Section 666, Paragraph 13, Section A; and RCW 77.32.014)
Duplicate Licenses & TagsIf hunting license or tag documents are lost, stolen, or destroyed, duplicates can be obtained from license vendors for a cost. However, it is a crime to unlawfully purchase or possess a duplicate license or tag for any purpose other than replacement of a lost or destroyed original document.
Replacement TagsReplacement tags may be provided when a hunter has killed an animal that is unfit for human consumption upon WDFW inspection and authorization.
Refunds/Exchanges (WAC 220-220-100)The department will not refund any recreational license or permit purchase for which a season or hunt has been scheduled, and the licensee could have participated in the season or hunt, regardless of whether the licensee did in fact participate or not. Except as detailed below, there are no refunds for hunting licenses or transport tags. Exchanges of hunting license documents will not be made after applying for a special permit (Points Option hunts are exempt) or after the hunting season opens.
- Dealer or system error, or wrong license issued. Refund from local dealer within 60 minutes of purchase; from WDFW Olympia office any time during licensing year.
- License purchaser received more than one of the same licenses in the same license year.
- License purchaser qualifies for reduced fee at the time of issue.
- License purchaser who is transferred or otherwise obligated by the military or their business and provides verifying documentation within year of purchase.
- Licensee cannot hunt due to injury or health reasons verified by physicians statement provided within year of purchase.
- We are unable to refund partial licenses. For example, (Deer + Elk + Bear + Cougar) cannot refund individual item from package.
- Death of license holder before season of licensed hunt. Personal representative must provide all documentation.
- Deer and elk transport tags may be exchanged for a different area or weapon type before the following dates: Archery, Sept. 1; Muzzleloader, Sept. 20; or Modern firearm, Oct. 10.
- Tag issued in error not caused by persons applying for tag.
Vehicle Access PassYour Vehicle Access Pass (VAP) is free with the purchase of an annual hunting, fishing, or trapping license. It cannot be purchased separately. See State Recreation Lands for more information.
Discover PassIf you have a VAP, you have free access to all WDFW-managed lands. However, a Discover Pass is required for access to all State Parks and DNR managed lands. Visit discoverpass.wa.gov for more information.
Youth Donations100 percent of your youth donation will be used to support youth outdoor education. Donations can be made by phone (1-866-246-9453), online (fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov), or at a vendor near you. Call (360) 902-2344 for more information.
WILD ID NumbersThink of your WILD ID as your permanent license number. Your WILD ID will:
- Decrease time spent purchasing your license
- Prevent duplication
- Increase accuracy of your licenses
- Maintain your license and points history