Skip to main content

South Carolina


SCDNR Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I purchased my license online but didn’t print my payment receipt, what can I do?

A: You may hunt/fish using your order number and a picture id until your license arrives. You will be mailed a hard copy of your license within 5 to 7 days following your date of purchase.

Hunting tags and nongame fish tags must be in your possession before they can be used. Tags will be mailed within 3 to 5 days from the time of purchase.

If you do not have your order number you may contact the Licensing Section at (803) 734-3833 Monday – Friday, 8:30 am until 4:50 pm. The Licensing staff can provide you with your order number.

Q: How do I change my address?

A: If you do not have an active boat or motor in our system associated with your customer ID number you may update your address information at the time you purchase your new hunting or fishing license. Make sure to update all your information, to include county of residence, phone number, and email address. Verify that all your personal information is also correct. If you own a boat or motor you can only change your address by notifying SCDNR. You may complete a change of address form and submit it to our office.

Q: If I am fishing from the shore in saltwater, do I need a saltwater license?

A: YES, you must possess a current saltwater license if you fish from shore or in a boat in salt water. Refer to General Information for the saltwater/ freshwater diving line.

Q: How many fishing rods may I use with a saltwater fishing license in a boat?

A: A licensed angler may use as many fishing rods as he/she wishes in a boat in saltwater. No unlicensed angler may use any of those fishing rods.

Q: Are mussels considered clams or oysters?

A: Mussels are considered oysters with applicable regulations. This does not apply to freshwater.

Q: Is there a crabbing season?

A: No, you can crab any time of year. Please see regulations for size limits and license requirements.

Q: Can you keep red drum caught in federal waters (beyond 3 miles)?

A: No, red drum may not be harvested from federal waters.

Q: If I am a recreational angler can I harvest crabs using a line with multiple hooks (similar to a trotline)?

A: YES. This would be considered a trotline and recreational anglers must have a Saltwater Recreational Fishing License and a Trotline Equipment License.

Q: I have a nuisance wildlife problem (such as a snake in the yard, squirrel in the attic, etc.). Who do I call?

A: SCDNR does not provide nuisance wildlife control services, but can refer you to private individuals and companies that do. For a directory, see:

Q: Is there a caliber restriction or magazine restriction when hunting deer, hogs or coyotes on private land?

A: NO, there is no caliber or magazine restriction for firearms used to hunt deer, hogs or coyotes on private land.

Q: Is there a caliber restriction or magazine restriction when hunting deer, hogs or coyotes on WMA land?

A: There is no magazine restrictions on WMA lands. See Weapons beginning on WMA Regulations for weapons related regulations on WMAs.

Q: May I carry a handgun with me when hunting on an archery only WMA if I possess a Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP)?

A: YES, persons who have a CWP pursuant to SC-31-205 may possess a handgun while on any WMA. During a primitive weapons season (archery or muzzleloader), a handgun may not be used to take or attempt to take game.

Q: How long can I sit in the stand to hunt deer?

A: It is legal to hunt deer in South Carolina from one hour prior to official sunrise until one hour after official sunset.

Q: If I have used all of my turkey tags for the season, can I take someone else hunting and call for them?

A: YES, hunters who have used all of their tags may call or guide for other hunters provided they possess their tag form and a valid hunting license.

Q: How old does my child need to be before they are required purchase a hunting or fishing license?

A: Any person age 16 or older must possess a valid hunting or fishing license while hunting or fishing in South Carolina.

Q: Is my child who is under age 16 required to have tags to hunt deer, turkey or bear?

A: YES, anyone who hunts for turkey, deer or bear must have a set of tags no matter their age, except on designated youth days. Tags are available at each of the five regional SCDNR offices. See Directory South Carolina DNR for office locations.

Q: Can I camp on WMA properties?

A: YES, but only in designated camping areas and several properties require a permit for camping. Check our website at for information on specific properties.