South Shore Management Area Goose Hunting Cooperative
- Required for all goose hunters during the regular Canada goose season (November 18 - 26, and December 2 - January 21, 2024).
- Must be obtained from the online licensing system at rio.ri.gov or from the Division of Fish and Wildlife’s Great Swamp Field Headquarters, 277 Great Neck Rd., West Kingston.
- License document with SSMA permit certification must be carried while goose hunting at the SSMA and must be shown to any DEM Environmental Police Officer or Division of Fish and Wildlife employee upon request.
- Required for Canada goose hunting during the regular goose season (November 18 - 26, and December 2 - January 21, 2024).
- Goose and other waterfowl harvest reporting is no longer required for South Shore Management Area.
Additional SSMA Goose Hunting Regulations
- See information packet provided with the goose hunting permit or online (http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/waterfowlab-ssma.pdf) for additional rules and regulations for goose hunting in the SSMA.
- SSMA is CLOSED during the late goose season: January 27 - February 10, 2024.
Additional Hunting Restrictions at SSMA
Dove hunting is allowed in fields 1, 3, 5 and 6 except during the regular goose season. Doves may be taken by permitted goose hunters while goose hunting when the field reservation system is in place during the open dove season. Possession of lead shot for taking doves while goose hunting is prohibited.
Upland game hunting is allowed only in fields 5 and 6 during the upland game season except during the regular Canada goose seasons. All upland game hunting is prohibited during regular goose season, including Youth Waterfowl Weekend.
Deer hunting during the archery season is allowed ONLY in the wooded portions of field 3, 5 and 6, including during the regular Canada goose season when the field reservation system is in place.
Deer hunting during the muzzleloader season is allowed ONLY in the wooded portions of field 5 and 6, EXCEPT during the regular Canada goose season.
Turkey hunting is allowed in the wooded portions of Fields 3, 5, and 6 during the spring and fall turkey seasons.
Waterfowl hunting is allowed outside of the regular Canada goose season but within legal waterfowl seasons and without special hunting permits, reservation, or decoy restrictions, once crops are harvested. The taking of ducks during legal duck seasons is permitted while goose hunting.
Non-toxic shot is required per Federal regulation for all dove, duck (including coot and merganser), and goose hunting in Field 1 at South Shore Management Area.
Violations of any SSMA regulations, state management area regulations, and/or any state or federal hunting laws will result in loss of hunting privileges on the SSMA for a period of one year, beginning from the date of the violation.
For additional information, see the RI Hunting Regulations or call the Division of Fish and Wildlife at (401) 789-0281.