Skip to main content



Uniformed Services & Disabled Veterans

The information on this page is a summary of regulations and opportunities related to Disabled Veterans and active duty Members of the Uniformed Services.

Uniformed Services Members

“Uniformed Services” includes Army, Navy, Air Force (along with Space Force), Marine Corps and Coast Guard, or their reserve components; the National Guard or Oregon National Guard, commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Public Health Service of the United States Department of Health and Human Services detailed with the Army or Navy.


The requirement for a person to reside in Oregon for not less than six months to be considered a resident is waived for Members of the uniformed services of the United States who:

  • Are permanently assigned to active duty in this state, and their spouse and dependent children; or
  • Reside in this state while assigned to duty at any base, station, shore establishment or other facility in this state; or
  • Reside in this state while serving as members of the crew of a ship that has an Oregon port or shore establishment as its home port or permanent station.

Nonresident Members of the Uniformed Services

  • Must obtain a valid nonresident hunting license.
  • A nonresident active duty member of the uniformed services may purchase licenses, general season tags, and permits at reduced rates (see table below).
  • Pay nonresident tag fees for controlled hunt tags and are subject to nonresident tag limitations (5% for deer and elk).

Tag Sales Deadlines

Active duty members of the uniformed services with Oregon resident status will be permitted to purchase their general season tag after the deadline.

Uniformed Services Active Duty Controlled Hunt Tags

Oregon’s active duty members of the uniformed services stationed outside of the state can obtain a controlled deer, elk, or spring bear hunt tag while on leave during the season. To qualify for these tags the individual must be an Oregon resident currently stationed outside of the state.

  • To purchase the tag the active members of the uniformed services must provide the following information to the local ODFW District office responsible for issuing the tag:
    • A copy of an active duty military ID.
    • A copy of current leave papers to document they are currently stationed outside of Oregon.
    • A valid Oregon resident hunting license.
  • Tags will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis, beginning March 1 for spring bear hunts and July 1 for deer and elk hunts, until the authorized number of tags have been issued.
  • Tags may be issued for:
    • Spring bear hunts, controlled deer or elk hunts with a bag limit of “antlerless”, or “spike only”, that have a minimum of 20 tags.
    • Controlled deer or elk hunts with a bag limit that allows buck deer or bull elk with two or more points on one antler, not counting the brow tine, to be harvested, that have a minimum of 100 tags authorized by the Commission.
    • Additional tags for active members of the uniformed services for each controlled hunt will not exceed 10% of the tag number authorized by the Commission.
  • Active members of the uniformed services Controlled Hunt Tags cannot be authorized for controlled hunts occurring on the Starkey Experimental Forest, Hart Mountain NAR, or Umatilla NWR.
  • All hunt specific regulations for the hunt where a tag is issued will apply.
  • Tag recipient must pay the standard resident price for the tag.
  • Hunters must complete Mandatory Reporting for each tag.
  • For further information, please contact the ODFW District Office in the location you would like to hunt to make an appointment.

Disabled Veterans

Resident Disabled Veteran License

To qualify for a free resident disabled veteran license you must have at least a 25% disabled rating from any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States.

Disabled Veterans are eligible to purchase an elk tag at a reduced price. For an application visit:

Disabled Veterans Criteria for Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permits

To be considered a person with a disability under the wildlife laws, a disabled veteran must provide: Written proof that the last official certification of record by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States shows the person to be at least 65% disabled (ORS 496. 018).

See Disabilities Hunting & Fishing Permit Information for more information regarding the Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit program.

Active Duty Uniformed Service Members and Disabled Veteran Licenses and Tags





Uniformed Services Hunting



Disabled Veteran Combination - Includes Columbia Rvr Basin Endorsement




Uniformed Service Cougar


Uniformed Service Black Bear


Uniformed Service Deer

General Season



Controlled Season



Uniformed Service Elk

General Season



Controlled Season



Uniformed Service Pronghorn Antelope



Disabled Veteran Elk