- General Info
- Licenses, Permits & Fees
- Hunting Regulations
Seasons & Limits
- Deer Hunting Season Dates
- Big Game Season Dates
- Turkey Hunting Seasons
- Migratory Game Bird Hunting Seasons & Bag Limits
- Furbearer Trapping Season Dates & Bag Limits
- Small Game Season Dates & Limits
- Waterfowl Hunting Zone Descriptions
- Special Seasons Designated for Young Hunters
- Bear Hunting Season Dates
- 2020 Why I Hunt/Trap
- Chronic Wasting Disease
- The 10 Commandments of Firearm Safety
- DEC Adopts New Deer Management Plan
- Doe or Fawn?
- Tree Stand Safety
- Fisher Management in New York
- Working Together to Protect Wildlife and People
- Attention Rabbit Hunters
- Spruce Grouse vs. Ruffed Grouse
- Changes in Atlantic Population Canada Goose Seasons
- Moose in New York
- Junior Hunter/Trapper Opportunities
- PDF Downloads
Moose in New York
Moose are protected in New York and cannot be hunted. DEC and its research partners are currently compiling results from a multi-year research project and a series of public surveys to better understand the status of New York State’s moose population, moose health, factors that influence moose survival and reproductive rates, and to better understand the public’s experience with moose and desires for future moose populations. The goal of the study and surveys is to gather information to develop a moose management plan for New York State.
Report Your Moose Sightings
If you have seen a moose, DEC wants to know about it. Your observations help DEC track moose distribution in New York. To report a moose sighting, go to www.dec.ny.gov/animals/6964.
Hunt Safe — Hunt Smart
- Assume every gun to be loaded.
- Control the muzzle, point in a safe direction.
- Keep finger off the trigger until firing.
- Be sure of your target and beyond.
- Wear hunter orange.