Skip to main content
New York



Access to Hunting Areas

Places to Hunt in New York

DECinfo Locator is an interactive map that includes DEC lands with public hunting access and other outdoor recreation information. Go to

For additional information about places to hunt in New York, go to

Private Lands

Always ASK the landowner for permission to hunt and trap on private land. If it were your land, how would you want a visitor to act?

  • Be courteous — ASK permission well in advance.
  • ASK what is permitted. What species can be hunted? Are tree stands allowed?
  • ASK if friends can join you.
  • Exercise safety—always!
  • Thank the landowner.

Many landowners use "ASK permission" stickers on their signs, which show the landowners’ willingness to allow access to their lands. Stickers are available for free from your local Regional Wildlife Office (see Important Numbers) or from DEC Central Office, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4754. For more information on hunting on private lands, visit our website:

Remember: Damaging bark or cutting trees, branches, or plants is illegal without permission of the landowner.

Rights of way that cross private property, such as for power lines and railroads, are not public land. Trespassing on these areas without permission from the landowner is illegal.

FWMA Cooperative Areas

Through cooperative agreements under New York’s Fish and Wildlife Management Act (FWMA), Cooperative Hunting Areas provide access and management services to privately owned lands in order to increase public hunting opportunities. When using these areas, remember that you are a guest on private property. Littering and other abuses will only result in closure of many excellent hunting areas.

A word about liability

Whether or not the land is posted, New York State General Obligations Law protects landowners from liability for non-paying recreationists engaged in hunting, trapping, and fishing on their property. Because of this protection, recreational liability lawsuits against rural landowners are uncommon. This protection does not apply in cases of willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against dangers.

State Recreation Lands

For information on hunting and trapping opportunities and rules governing the use of state land, contact the regional office for the county where you would like to hunt or trap (see Important Numbers). Wildlife staff can provide information on Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) and Cooperative Hunting Areas. DEC Forestry staff and Forest Rangers can provide details on State Forest lands and Forest Preserve lands. In some instances, written permission or permits are required to use state lands. These are available from DEC regional offices during normal business hours. For more information on State Recreation Lands, visit:

Motorized access to state lands

DEC has designated routes on state forests, wildlife management areas, forest preserve lands and conservation easement lands for motor vehicle use by people with a qualifying mobility disability. For a list of these opportunities, along with information on how to obtain a motorized access permit, please visit the DEC website at:

Wildlife Management Areas

The Division of Fish and Wildlife manages about 187,000 acres of wildlife management areas (WMAs). These areas are located throughout the state and contain a variety of different types of habitat and wildlife. They are managed primarily for wildlife and wildlife-related public use.

WMAs have specific use regulations in addition to the general use regulations for state land. Hunting, trapping, and fishing are permitted, except as specifically restricted by posted notice.

On wildlife management areas, it is unlawful to:

  • Target shoot unless posted as an allowed activity
  • Camp without written permission
  • Travel off-road by use of motorcycles, motor scooters, mopeds, trail bikes, snowmobiles, or any other motorized vehicle, except as specifically allowed by a permit or posted notice
  • Remove, cut, or willfully damage or destroy living vegetation of any kind
  • Construct or place a permanent structure, blind, stand, or platform (including placement of nails or other hardware into trees)
  • Leave any personal property when exiting the area; tree stands labeled with name and address or DEC ID number may be left overnight, but must be removed at the end of the hunting season
  • Enter property posted with "No Trespassing" signs, except with written permission from DEC

For more information on WMAs, go to:

Lands and Forests

The Division of Lands and Forests manages nearly 5 million acres of land, located in almost every county of the state. From the remote locations of the Adirondack and Catskill mountains to the rolling hills of the western part of the state and the forested areas on Long Island, a wide range of hunting and trapping opportunities await the outdoor recreationist.

Forest Preserve Lands

Hunting and trapping are permitted in the Adirondack and Catskill forest preserves. State-owned lands located within these preserves are designated Forever Wild. All state land rules and camping requirements apply to the preserves, as well as additional rules specific to certain areas. Contact the regional DEC office (see Important Numbers) of the county where you would like to hunt or trap for more information. For further information on Forest Preserve lands, please visit the DEC website at:

Conservation Easement Lands

Conservation easements are tracts of privately owned property on which New York State has acquired certain public recreation rights. These rights are outlined in the easement document as well as in a recreation management plan jointly developed by DEC and the landowner. Public hunting and trapping are allowed on many conservation easements, but due to the individual nature of each property, members of the public wishing to hunt or trap on a given easement are strongly encouraged to contact a local DEC office (see Important Numbers) in the county where the property is located. The office can provide details on how to properly access the property and the hunting and trapping regulations unique to the easement. For further information on DEC held conservation easements, please visit the DEC website at

State Forest Lands

Outside the Adirondacks and Catskills, State Forest lands are the most common type of state lands. Many recreational activities can be pursued on these lands, including hunting and trapping.

In some instances, permits are required to camp overnight on undeveloped State Forest lands. Unless specifically prohibited, groups of less than 10 people may camp on State Forest lands (other than developed campgrounds and wildlife management areas) for three consecutive nights without a permit. To camp for four consecutive nights or more, a permit must be obtained. Groups of 10 or more people need a permit to camp on such lands for one night. Further information may be obtained from DEC regional offices for the county you want to camp in (see Important Numbers). For further information on State Forest Lands, please visit the DEC website at:

Remember, it is unlawful to:

  • Cut or injure trees (including construction of permanent tree stands, construction of natural blinds, clearing of shooting lanes around portable stands, placement of nails or other hardware into trees, or use of live trees as targets while sighting-in firearms).
  • Store personal property. Tree stands or hunting blinds that do not injure a tree, and are properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting license number, may be placed during the appropriate hunting season, but must be removed at the end of the season.
  • Erect, use, or maintain a building or structure.
  • Deposit or leave any litter or rubbish.
  • Operate a motor vehicle, off maintained roads, except where specifically allowed.
  • Operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) other than designated by posting or by permit.
  • Camp without a permit when a permit is required.
  • Possess a rifle, shotgun, or firearm in or upon buildings or grounds used for educational purposes (see Penal Law Section 265.01-a).

State Parks

Many State Parks offer waterfowl, small game, and big game hunting. For more information, contact the appropriate DEC regional office (see Important Numbers) or visit the State Parks hunting website ( Call each State Park to find out specific hunting and access regulations. For a listing of State Parks that allow deer hunting, visit the DEC website at

Other Areas to Hunt

  • Finger Lakes National Forest (federal): Located east of Seneca Lake in Schuyler and Seneca counties, small and big game hunting opportunities are available. Special hunting permits are not required.
  • Fort Drum Military Base (federal): Wildlife Management Unit 6H, located in Jefferson and Lewis counties includes over half of the 107,000-acre U.S. Army military installation, which is open to the public for hunting and trapping. See the Fort Drum Fish and Wildlife Management Program website for more information at or call 315-772-9303.
  • Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (federal): Located at the north end of Cayuga Lake in Seneca county, this site offers small game and waterfowl hunting opportunities. This area is also open for deer hunting on a controlled basis during both the bowhunting and regular seasons. Permits are required. When deer management permit use is allowed, WMU 8J permits are valid. For current information on seasons, permits, maps, and regulations visit Montezuma’s website at
  • Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge (federal): Located in Genesee and Orleans counties in western New York, this site offers small game and waterfowl hunting opportunities. This area is also open for deer hunting during both the bowhunting and regular seasons. For further information visit
  • Long Island: For a brochure on areas to hunt and for access permits, write to:
    • Hunting Opportunities, NYS DEC
      SUNY Stony Brook
      50 Circle Rd.
      Stony Brook, NY 11790-3404
  • New York City Watershed Lands: The New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) allows trapping, as well as deer, bear, turkey, and small game hunting on specially designated city water supply lands. Hunters and trappers must possess the appropriate, valid New York State sporting license and a valid access permit to hunt or trap on designated hunting and trapping areas on city water supply lands. For more information, including maps, go to

DEC Campgrounds

DEC operates 52 public campgrounds in the Adirondack and Catskill parks. Hunting is not permitted within these campgrounds, although some campgrounds allow camping during big game season. Unloaded firearms are allowed on public campgrounds only during the spring and fall hunting seasons. A valid hunting license is needed. Firearms cannot be discharged in the campground or day-use facilities at any time. For more information on DEC’s campgrounds, visit

Campgrounds outside the forest preserves are operated by the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (see State Parks).

For all campgrounds, reservations can be made by calling 1-800-456-CAMP or online at

Licensed Guides

For information on licensed professional guides in New York, contact NYS DEC, 625 Broadway, NY 12233-4752, call 518- 402-8985, or visit the DEC website at

ASK Permission

"ASK Permission" stickers, a brochure explaining the program, Landowner Permission forms, and information about fish and wildlife conservation are available for free from DEC Regional Wildlife Offices or by writing:

NYSDEC, 625 Broadway,
Albany, NY 12233-4754


Indigenous Nation Territories

Some Indigenous Nations have made provisions for limited public hunting, trapping, and fishing access, while others do not permit non-citizens to hunt, trap, or fish on their land. Check with the respective Nation’s office to determine the requirements for hunting, trapping, and fishing within the territory boundaries. A special permit may be required.