Tidal Hudson River Regulations
Gregg Kenney, Marine Fisheries Manager
Hudson River Fisheries Unit
21 South Putt Corners Road
New Paltz, NY 12561
|Tidal Hudson River and all tributaries to the first impassible barrier by fish||Black Bass, June 15 through November 30, Minimum Length 15", Daily Limit 5|
|American Shad, Fishing for or possession prohibited|
|Tidal Hudson River north of the George Washington Bridge and all tributaries upstream to the 1st impassible barrier to fish||Striped Bass, April 1-Nov 30, Daily Limit-1 (not less than 18" nor greater than 28")
Fishing for Striped Bass (including catch and release) is prohibited outside of the open season in the Hudson River above the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge.
|From the Battery to the Troy Dam and all tributaries upstream to the 1st barrier impassable by fish||American Eel (for bait only), All year, Minimum Length-9"-14", Daily Limit-25 *No eels may be possessed for food|
* Non-offset (inline) circle hooks must be used when recreationally ﬁshing for striped bass using bait as deﬁned. Exemption: Circle hooks are not required when ﬁshing with an artiﬁcial lure, whether or not they are tipped with bait as previously deﬁned.
Taking of Anadromous River Herring with Personal Use Nets
- No person shall take anadromous river herring with a net within Hudson River tributaries and embayments. Prior to entering a Hudson River tributary or embayment, all personal use nets must be stowed in a secured container on deck or in a container below deck.
- No person shall take anadromous river herring from the Hudson River:
- with more than one net when taking with a scap or dip net;
- with a dip net exceeding 14 inches in diameter if it is round form or exceeding 13 inches by 13 inches if it is square form;
- with a scap or lift net exceeding 16 square feet;
- with a seine net exceeding 36 square feet; or a cast net exceeding 10 feet in diameter.
Blue Crab Regulations
50 blue crabs per day. Minimum carapace length across the back is:
- Hard crab: 4 1/2 inches
- Soft shell crab: 3 1/2 inches
- Peeler crab: 3 inches
No license is required to collect blue crabs.
Hudson River Anadramous River Herring Regulations
Daily Possession Limit
|Location||Open Season||Daily Possession Limit||Manner of Taking|
|Hudson River tributaries and embayments, including Mohawk River (see the Mohawk River exception on the DEC Region 5 Special Regulations).||March 15-June 15||10 per angler, OR a maximum boat limit of 50 per day for a group of boat anglers, whichever is lower||Angling only|
|Main stem of the Hudson River from Lock 1 near Waterford, south to the George Washington Bridge||March 15-June 15||10 per angler, OR a maximum boat limit of 50 per day for a group of boat anglers, whichever is lower||Angling or by personal use nets|