Skip to main content
New Mexico



Licenses & Fees

Over-the-Counter (OTC) License fee

License TypeResident*Nonresident
Game-hunting License 1$15$65
Game-hunting & Fishing License 2$30Not Issued
Junior Game-hunting License 1$10$15
Junior Game-hunting & Fishing License 2$15Not Issued
Senior or Handicapped Game-hunting License 1$15Not Issued
Senior or Handicapped Game-hunting & Fishing License 2$20Not Issued
Disabled Veteran Game-hunting & Fishing License 2, 3$10Not Issued
Private-land Deer License – Standard$34$270
Private-land Deer License – Quality$34$355
Private-land Deer License – Junior/Senior$22Not Issued
Private-land Pronghorn License$53$270
Turkey License (Spring or Fall Season)$25$100
Bear License$47$260
Cougar License$43$290
Private-land Only Oryx License$153$1,610
Private-land Only Barbary Sheep License$103$360
Barbary Sheep License$103$360
Ibex License$103$1,610
Javelina License$58$165
Temporary Game-hunting License (4 days) 1
Does not enable the purchaser to purchase big-game or turkey licenses. Also required for nonresidents trapping coyotes and skunks.
Not Issued$33

Nongame Hunting License
Does not allow trapping (pages 32, 124).

Not Issued$65

Habitat Stamp
Mandatory for hunting or angling on all Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management properties. For age requirements and exceptions, see page 10.


Habitat Management & Access Validation
Mandatory for hunting, angling or trapping. This validation does not replace the habitat stamp. For age requirements and exceptions, see page 9.


Duplicate license / tag


One dollar ($1) vendor fee will apply for all purchases.

1 Valid for small game.
2 Valid for small game and fishing.
3 50% N.M. Resident Military/Veteran Discount does not apply. (See page 14 for age requirements).

Before March 23, game hunting licenses, game hunting & fishing licenses and stamps for the 2022–2023 season are unavailable through license sales and must be purchased through the draw application process.

New Mexico Residency Requirements

*To qualify for New Mexico resident license(s), an individual must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. A United States citizen who has resided in N.M. for a period of not less than 90 days immediately preceding the date of application (or purchase) for the license, has been domiciled in N.M., and has not claimed residency elsewhere for any purpose. Temporary or seasonal residents and home owners, who maintain a primary residence outside of N.M., do not qualify for resident licenses.
  2. A citizen of another country who is legally in the United States and has lived in N.M. for at least 90 days immediately preceding his/her license application (or purchase).
  3. A student, not otherwise entitled to claim residence, who is attending any educational institution in N.M., has attended and actually has lived in the state for at least one full semester immediately preceding the application (or purchase) for a license. Students must present a certificate or letter verifying their enrollment and attendance from the proper authorities of the educational institution.
  4. A member of the U.S. military, not otherwise entitled to claim residence, who is permanently assigned to a military installation located within N.M. and who presents with his/her application a certificate or letter that verifies the military assignment and is signed by the commanding officer. The spouse or dependent of such person, living within the same household and similarly certified by the person’s commanding officer may also purchase resident licenses.
  5. A member of the U.S. military who is officially stationed at Fort Bliss and who presents a certificate or letter to NMDGF that verifies the military assignment and is signed by the commanding officer, prior to application. This applies only for draw-hunt licenses on Fort Bliss. Fort Bliss personnel must pay nonresident license fees for all other hunts. The 50% resident military and veteran discount does not apply.

License Fees

License Purchases Make Conservation Possible

Without the purchases of licenses by hunters, trappers and anglers, and the taxes derived from the sale of sporting equipment and fuels for boating, the conservation of fish and wildlife would not be possible. Through the USFWS Sport Fish and Wildlife Restoration Program, excise taxes for fishing equipment, motorboat fuel, sporting arms, ammunition and archery equipment provide the funds essential to the conservation efforts of wildlife and sport-fish management agencies. These funds support many important projects in New Mexico, including bighorn sheep and Gila trout restoration, game-species management, fish-hatchery operations, lake renovations, waterfowl-habitat maintenance, and much more.

Remember every time you buy a license, ammunition or hunting and fishing gear you’re part of the most successful user-based wildlife conservation program in history!