Hunting Licenses & Requirements
While in The Field You Must Have All of the Following:
License, Stamp and Validation Requirements
- All hunters must possess a valid license, and permit if applicable, for the species and hunt type in which they will participate and must produce this upon request by a conservation officer.
- All big-game and turkey hunters must possess a Game-hunting License.
- All big-game and turkey hunters must possess a carcass tag(s) for each species hunted, unless the E-Tag option is chosen.
- All hunters, trappers or anglers on any Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management lands must possess a Habitat Stamp.
- All hunters, trappers or anglers 18 years and older must possess a Habitat Management & Access Validation on public and/or private lands.
- All hunters 17 years of age and younger must possess a hunter education or mentor-youth number.
- All hunters on private lands must possess written permission from the landowner.
It is the responsibility of each hunter to know and comply with all applicable license, stamp, permit and/or tag requirements.
Purchasing Licenses, Stamps and Validations
Each individual purchasing a license or applying for a draw hunt and every student registering for a hunter/bowhunter education class, must have a NMDGF account with a customer identification number (CIN). Accounts can be set up online: https://onlinesales.wildlife.state.nm.us
or by telephone at 1-888-248-6866.
Licenses, tags, stamps and validations are available online, by telephone, and in person at NMDGF offices and local vendors. Information and requirements for the habitat stamp and habitat management & access validation are described. Please note, before March 24, game-hunting licenses and stamps for the 2021–22 season may be purchased through the draw application process. Restrictions may apply for online big-game license purchases.
Licenses and permits can be printed on standard paper, but all big-game and turkey hunters must obtain a carcass tag(s) from NMDGF or a license vendor prior to hunting or have chosen the E-Tag option. Draw permits for bear and turkey may not be printed until all appropriate license(s) have been purchased.
E-Tag Option for Big Game and Turkey
Hunters may choose to E-Tag their big-game animal or turkey rather than receive and carry a paper license/tag. Hunters must choose whether to E-Tag or receive a physical tag when purchasing or applying for their license(s). If you choose to receive a paper license/tag, you cannot later use the E-Tag option. Prior to hunting, hunters must download the E-Tag app to their mobile phone and log in to load their license in the app. Upon harvesting an animal, hunters will be required to immediately E-Tag the animal using the app. The hunter will receive an E-Tag number with the CIN and the date of kill which must be hand written on a durable material (e.g. duct tape or flagging ribbon) in permanent ink and attached to the animal (see Tagging Instructions). The app will work even while out of service as long as the hunter remains logged in prior to leaving cell service. Hunters must be able to show their license on their phone. Hunters choosing to E-Tag must still submit a harvest report.
Online and Draw Big-game License/Tag Combo
Hunters who do not choose the E-Tag option will be issued a license/tag combination. You can carry a single document and will not be required to print your license separately if:
- You have purchased all required stamps prior to May 17, 2021; and/or
- You purchase your license online, by telephone or at an NMDGF office.
The license/tag will include the game-hunting license, any stamps purchased, the big-game license, carcass tag and an antler/horn tag (depending on species and bag limit) and/or a second tag (cougar and spring turkey).
- A license/tag and permit are available immediately if purchased at an NMDGF office or
- A license/tag will be mailed to all successful draw hunt applicants, unless the E-Tag option
- Telephone or online purchases for javelina and private-land Barbary sheep, deer, elk, oryx and pronghorn licenses must be made at least 14 days prior to the start of the hunt to allow time to mail the license(s)/tag(s). License(s)/tag(s) will be mailed to the address provided by the customer for each species. Customers may obtain a duplicate license and tag in person at any OTC license vendor or NMDGF office. Duplicate license/tags will be charged a $6 fee. If obtained at an OTC license vendor, both a printed license and separate tag will be required. If a duplicate tag is obtained, the original tag number will be invalidated. It is illegal to use an invalidated license/tag.
Purchases at OTC License Vendors
The license/tag combination will not be available for big-game or turkey licenses and duplicate tags purchased at OTC license vendors. Both a tag and a printed license will be required.
License Information Is Public Record
Pursuant to the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act, Sections 14-2-1 et. seq. NMSA 1978, all information provided when applying for licenses and permits is public record and must be disclosed to anyone when properly requested except as provided by law.