Where to Hunt in New Jersey
Public Hunting Lands
To find endless statewide hunting opportunities for small game, deer, turkey, pheasant, migratory birds and more, check these links!
For additional NJ public hunting lands, turn to these Digest pages:
Hunting on National Wildlife Refuges is not permitted unless specifically opened as listed below. Baiting and Sunday hunting are prohibited on all National Wildlife Refuges. Due to COVID-19, visit the refuge website to confirm that access is open.
Cape May NWR
24 Kimbles Beach Rd., Cape May Court House, NJ 08210
(609) 463-0994; fws.gov/refuge/cape_may/
- Deer—Contact Cape May NWR.
- Migratory game birds except crow—on refuge lands north of Rt. 550 or west of Rt. 47
- Turkey, rabbit, and squirrel hunting in select areas only.
Refuge permit is required. Special hunting conditions apply. Contact refuge office for information.
Great Swamp NWR
32 Pleasant Plains Rd., Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
(973) 425-0215 ext. 1; https://greatswamp.recaccess.com/
- Deer—See Special Areas Information.
In addition to required state licenses and permits, hunters must obtain a Refuge permit for $26 ($13 for holders of a Senior, Golden Age, Access, or Golden Access pass; youths are free with a valid New Jersey youth hunting license).
Edwin B. Forsythe NWR
800 Great Creek Rd., Oceanville, NJ 08231-0072; (609) 652-1665; www.fws.gov/refuge/edwin_b_forsythe/
- Deer—See Special Areas, Special Areas Information.
- Waterfowl and rail.
- Spring Turkey and squirrel hunting in select areas only.
Information can be obtained at the refuge, at dispensers, at the headquarters, on the refuge website, or through the mail. An Annual Refuge Hunting Permit is required to hunt all seasons. Go to https://forsythe.recaccess.com/# to buy a permit. Interactive and hard copy maps and information can be obtained on the refuge website.
Supawna Meadows NWR
c/o Cape May NWR, 24 Kimbles Beach Rd., Cape May Court House, NJ 08210, (609) 463-0994; www.fws.gov/refuge/supawna_meadows/
- Deer—Bowhunting only.
- Migratory Birds
- Small Game
Special hunting conditions apply. Contact refuge office for information.
Wallkill River NWR
1547 County Rt. 565, Sussex, NJ 07461-4013; (973) 702-7266;
- Deer—Contact Wallkill River NWR.
- Migratory Birds except crow
- Turkey, spring and fall (THA 5)
- Small game—squirrel and rabbit only
In addition to required state licenses, hunters must purchase a Refuge hunt permit(s) at https://wallkillriver.recaccess.com (Discounts for Senior, Golden Age, Access, or Golden Access pass and youths with a valid New Jersey youth hunting license).
- Additional hunting opportunities
- Hunters with Disabling Conditions: A Disabled Hunter Area exists at 119 Owens Station Rd. Sussex, NJ (see map on Refuge website). Hunters must possess a valid NJ Permit to Hunt or Shoot from a Stationary Vehicle in addition to the Disabled Refuge Hunt Permit.
- Mentored Hunts: The refuge partners with the National Wild Turkey Federation to offer mentored hunts for youth, women and disabled hunters. Registration is required and space is limited. Contact the refuge for dates and details.
NEW Hunting & Trapping Explorer!
Before heading to your hunting location, use the online Hunting & Trapping Explorer to confirm zone boundaries and to determine your hunting zone/area, unit and township and county. This will speed your harvest reporting after a successful hunt!
It's easy, fast and accurate! See Deer Hunting Regulations for harvest reporting details.
Hunting & Trapping Explorer
Scan this code or visit NJFishandWildlife.com/hunt.