Marine Mammals & Sea Turtles
Maryland’s Marine Mammal and Sea Turtle Stranding 24-Hour Hotline: 800-628-9944
- In Maryland call 800-628-9944 to report all (live or dead) stranded sea turtles or marine mammals (including manatees, dolphins, whales, porpoise and seals).
- If calling from outside Maryland, please use:
- Live animals: 410-373-0083 (National Aquarium Animal Program)
- Dead animals: Call or text location and description to 443-758-6607
(Department of Natural Resources Marine Mammal and Sea Turtle Program)
- Do not touch, harass, feed or handle live or dead marine animals. Marine mammals and sea turtles are protected by federal and state laws that specify fines of up to $50,000, imprisonment, and/or vessel confiscation.
- Record your location using latitude/longitude, and a detailed description of your location including landmarks.
- Estimate and note the length, size, color, noticeable body parts, and any movement of the animal.
- Take photos of the animal.
- For more information, visit
Department biologists conduct necropsy examinations when feasible to determine cause of death, and notification of fresh carcasses is important.
Sea turtles and marine mammals: manatees, seals, dolphins and whales are included in our stranding response protocols.