- General Info
- Licenses, Permits & Fees
- Fishing Regulations
- Saltwater Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Blue Crabs
- PDF Downloads
April 1–Dec. 31.
- There are no license or registration requirements, but gear must be marked with owners name and address.
- There are no time of day restrictions.
- The taking of sponge crabs is prohibited.
Minimum Size Limits (measured from tip to tip of spikes)
- Hard crabs—5 inches.
- Soft crabs—3½ inches.
- Peeler crabs
- April 1–July 14—3¼ inches.
- July 15–Dec. 31—3½ inches.
- Mature female crabs—no minimum size.
Recreational Crabbing Daily Catch Limits
The daily catch limit in the waters of the coastal bays of the Atlantic Ocean and their tidal tributaries is:
- One bushel per person.
- Two bushels per boat if two or more individuals are on the boat.
It is Legal
To crab in the coastal bays of Maryland’s Atlantic Ocean and coastal tributaries using:
- No more than 600 feet of baited trotline, with floats of the same color, size and shape attached to each end; or
- No more than two 600-foot trotlines if two or more persons are in the boat; or
- Dip nets and any number of handlines; or
- Seines with mesh no greater than 1/4" that do not exceed 50' in width and 5' in height that is emptied from shore, or
- No more than 10 or a combination of 10 collapsible crab traps or crab net rings per person from docks, piers, bridges, boats or shoreline; or
- No more than 25, or a combination of 25, collapsible crab traps or crab net rings, if two or more persons are in a boat.
For waterfront property owners to set a maximum of two crab pots at their property, provided that:
- Pots are marked with the owner’s name and address or DNRid; and
- Crab pots must have two cull rings, one measuring at least 23⁄16 inches and one at least 25⁄16 inches, located in the exterior side panel or the top panels of the pot.
- Crab pots must have a turtle reduction device attached to each entrance or funnel in the lower chamber constructed of wire or plastic, rectangular in shape not larger than 1¾ inches high by 4¾ inches long.