Skip to main content



Licenses, Permits and Fees

Prices include automation and vendor fees.

Internet purchases may include additional fees.

** Expires 365 days from date of purchase or expiration of current license or permit, and is eligible for auto-renew.

* Eligible for auto-renew but does not expire 365 days from date of purchase or expiration of current license or permit.

Annual Fishing License

** $27.50 - Resident

**$52.50 - Nonresident

$42.50 - Resident Multi-Year Youth (16-20 years old)

** $15.00 - Resident Senior (65-74 years old)

Annual Fishing/Hunting (Combination) License

** $47.50 - Resident

** $137.50 - Nonresident

$72.50 - Resident Multi-Year Youth (16-20 years old)

** $25.00 - Resident Senior (65-74 years old)

One-day Fishing License

$6.00 - Resident

$10.00 - Nonresident

Five-day Fishing License

$27.50 - Nonresident

Five-year License

* $102.50 - Resident Fishing (expires 1,825 days from purchase)

* $182.50 - Resident Hunt/Fish Combo (expires 1,825 days from purchase)

Three-pole Permit

** $8.50 - Resident/Nonresident

Trout Permit (16 and older)

** $14.50 - Resident/Nonresident

Trout Permit Youth (15 and younger)

** $7.00 - Resident/Nonresident

Paddlefish Permit

$12.50 - Resident/Nonresident

Youth (15 and younger) Paddlefish Permit

$7.50 - Resident/Nonresident

Handfishing Permit

* $27.50 - Resident/Nonresident

Tournament Black Bass Pass

** $14.50 - Resident/Nonresident

Lifetime License

$502.50 - Resident Fish (quarterly pay optional)

$962.50 - Resident Hunt/Fish Combo (quarterly pay optional)

$42.50 - Resident Senior Fish/Hunt Combo (65-74 years old)

Boat Registration (3-year)

$42.50 - Resident/Nonresident

Duplicates (all issues)


STATE PARK Vehicle Permits

$5.00 - Daily

$25.00 - Annual

$15.00 - Park Passport (through DMV)

$3.25 - Resident Daily-Seniors/Disabled

$13.75 - Resident Annual-Seniors/Disabled

STATE PARK Camping Permits

Permits Prices in ( ) are for permits purchased October 1- March 31

$10.00 - Daily

$252.50 ($202.50) - Annual

$112.50 - 14-Day

$2.00 - Prime Site Fee

$9.00 - Utility 1

$11.00 - Utility 2

$12.00 - Utility 3

$15.50 - Rent-A-Camp

$1.50 - Group Site ($1.50 per person in addition to Site fee)

Variable - Cabins ($14.00 reservation fee)

$3.00 - Campsite Reservation

$0-$201.50 - Seasonal Camping


Select annual licenses and permits purchased online include a voluntary auto-renew option, which automatically renews those purchases one year from the date of purchase.

License buyers may opt in or out of the auto-renew feature at any time through their online KDWP account at Visit for more information.

Many annual licenses and permits are now valid for 365 days from the date of purchase or 365 days from the expiration date of your current license. Visit for more information.


Residents age 16 through 74 must have a resident license in possession while fishing in Kansas, unless exempt by law. All nonresidents 16 and older must have a valid nonresident license to fish in Kansas. Most licenses expire 365 days from date of purchase or 365 days from the expiration date of your current license, except one-day, five-day, five-year, multi-year youth, and lifetime fishing licenses.

Resident anglers age 65-74 are eligible for a senior Lifetime Pass, which is a combination hunting/fishing license valid for the lifetime of the holder for $42.50; or half-price 365-day fishing ($15) or fishing/hunting combination ($25) licenses are available. Landowners and their immediate family living with them, and tenants renting land for agricultural purposes and members of their immediate family living with them are exempt from fishing license requirements on waters on their own land, except as described below under “License Requirements on Private Land.”

Resident is defined as a person who has maintained the person’s place of permanent abode in the state for 60 days immediately prior to purchase. Domiciliary intent is required, evidence of which may include the location where the person votes, pays personal income taxes or obtains a driver’s license. A residency of at least one year is required to purchase lifetime licenses.

Residents who are enrolled as an American Indian on a tribal membership roll, which is federally recognized by the United States Department of Interior, Bureau of Indian Affairs, may apply to KDWP for a free fishing license, which must be in possession when fishing. All other laws and regulations apply to American Indians.

Persons on active duty in the armed forces who entered the service while residents of Kansas may purchase resident fishing licenses. Nonresidents on active military duty stationed in Kansas and nonresident students going to school in Kansas qualify for resident fishing licenses, and they must have evidence of active duty or enrollment with them while fishing.

Active members of the Kansas Army or Air National Guard are eligible for free fishing and hunting licenses and park permits. Legal Kansas residents who have been separated from the armed services under honorable conditions and have a disability certified by the Kansas Commission On Veterans Affairs as being service-connected and such disability is equal to or greater than 30 percent may apply through the Pratt Operations Office for free hunting and fishing licenses. Applications are also available on the KDWP website,


A fishing license is required on all public waters. In addition, a license is required for fishing on many private lands, including the following:

  • any private impoundment that has a stream or river going into and/or out of it, whether the stream is intermittent or not;
  • a private impoundment that is owned or operated by more than one person or group, in which case the owner or operator or member of the group would be exempt from the license requirement only while fishing on the portion of the impoundment they own;
  • guests of landowners or operators fishing on streams and rivers on land solely owned or operated; and
  • any impoundment stocked by the state within the last 10 years.

The sole owner of an impoundment or the land through which a stream flows does not have to have a fishing license. Guests may fish private land without a fishing license if it is a private waters fishing impoundment.



Special events conducted on KDWP-managed lands and waters require special event permits if one of the following conditions exists:

  1. an entrance, admission, or participation fee is charged;
  2. food, merchandise, or services are offered for sale;
  3. the exclusive use of a facility or a specified land or water area is required;
  4. an organized or advertised competition will be conducted;
  5. sound will be amplified that may disrupt area users; or
  6. temporary structures, other than blinds or common camping equipment, will be erected.

An event sponsored by KDWP does not require a special event permit.

Applications for special event permits are available at KDWP offices. Each application for a special event permit shall be made to KDWP not less than five weekdays before the event. The special event permit fee is negotiated based on event type, required services, and lost revenue; the maximum fee is $200. Payment must accompany each application.


If you plan to hold a competitive fishing tournament on department-managed lands or waters, you may be required to obtain a special event permit. This includes tournaments launched from department facilities at state parks, state fishing lakes, or other department properties. You also may be required to pay a fee for the permit, depending on the size of the event and the services required. Contact the nearest KDWP office (see Page 4) at least 30 days prior to the tournament date(s) to determine what requirements apply.


Anyone, regardless of age, must purchase a three-pole permit to fish with three poles at one time.


Anyone with a permanent physical disability that prevents them from fishing may apply for a Disability Assistance Permit. The permit holder may designate another person to take, on behalf of and while accompanied by the permit holder, the permit holder’s legal limit of game or fish. The person designated by the permit holder shall not be required to hold any licenses, permits, stamps. (This law also applies to hunting.) For more information or applications, contact KDWP, Law Enforcement Division, 512 SE 25th Ave., Pratt, KS 67124, (620) 672-5911 or any KDWP regional office.


All vessels used by participants in a weigh-in bass fishing tournament must have a working livewell that contains an electrolyte chemical-water solution, and the following procedures must be followed for weigh-in and release:

  • one individual work crew support for each 10 anglers
  • one weigh-in tank filled with an electrolyte-water chemical solution and fitted with recirculation and aeration accessories for every 25 anglers
  • if the water at the tournament site is 75 degrees or cooler, the water in the weigh-in tank shall be maintained at the same temperature
  • if the water temperature at the tournament site is warmer than 75F, weigh-in tank water shall be 5-10 degrees cooler but shall not exceed 85 degrees
  • not more than four anglers shall be in the weigh-in line at any time
  • weigh-in bags containing livewell water shall be reinforced, reusable, and capable of holding up to 15 pounds of live fish and 2 gallons of water
  • the weigh-in site shall be located near the vessel mooring site and the release site, vehicle or vessel and under a portable awning, event tent or in the shade

Minimum requirements for releasing bass during a weigh-in fishing tournament include:

  • fish shall not be released directly into the water after being weighed
  • if release tubes, vehicles or vessels are used, holding tanks shall contain a one-half percent noniodized salt solution
  • if release tubes, vehicles or vessels are not used, fish must be dipped in a 3 percent noniodized solution the same temperature as the lake water for 10-15 seconds before being released
  • the release site must have water at least 3 feet deep with good circulation and hard bottom

Anglers participating in bass fishing tournaments from Sept. 1-June 15 and who possess a Tournament Black Bass Pass ($14.50) may keep five fish as part of their five-fish limit, to be released after the weigh-in, that meet the statewide 15-inch minimum length limit but that are under a special length limit for the lake being fished. Tournament Black Bass Pass holders fishing in tournaments may also cull their catch after the daily creel has been reached, by releasing a small fish and replacing it with a larger one. The Tournament Black Bass Pass expires 365 days from date of purchase.