Preparing for the Road Test
Teaching Your Teen to Drive
The following is a checklist of documentation and vehicle requirements that must be met prior to performing a road test. Please take the time to review this list and check the vehicle to be used for compliance. If you have a question, feel free to contact the DMV Road Test Office at (401)462-5750 prior to arrival in order to avoid any possible complications.
Documents for the Road Test
Original permit (photocopies are not acceptable).
Signed and notarized affidavit of 50 hours driving experience required of all drivers under 18 years of age.
License of supervising driver (out-of-state license is acceptable).
Completed “Application for License, Identification Card and Permits (LI-1)” form (required for first license issuance and all required supporting documents).*
* If under 18 years of age and applying for a first license, the LI-1 form must be notarized if parent/guardian is not present or has a different last name than applicant.
Vehicle Requirements for the Road Test
Vehicle should have a center emergency brake (see illustration).
Proof of valid Rhode Island registration. Two exceptions:
- Valid military ID is required if vehicle is registered to family member of a military person or military person is stationed in RI.
- Driver school with a valid out-of-state registration must have current special RI Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate (GU-1338 b) on file with RI DMV. A copy of this form must also be presented to the Examiner at the Road Test site.
Valid, current Rhode Island Insurance – identification card or photocopies are acceptable. Vehicle owner must be listed on the card.
Notarized letter allowing use of vehicle (when registered owner is not present).
Notarized letter from the owner/president of the corporation acknowledging use of a corporate vehicle if being used for the road test.
Leased vehicles MUST show proof of lessee.
Valid inspection sticker (Exception: vehicles that are less than 2 years old or 24,000 miles or less, whichever comes first).
Road Test Examiner will conduct a vehicle safety inspection. The following is part of the safety inspection:
- Brake lights
- Directional lights
- Hazard lights
- Legal tint only – manufacture tint must have proper certification
- SRS (airbag) system functionality (Light)
- ABS system functionality (Light)
No rental vehicles allowed for road test.
No pets in vehicle used for road test.