Skip to main content



Trout & Salmon Stamp

Connecticut’s Trout & Salmon Stamp

Funding Trout and Salmon Fishing for Future Generations!

In order to maintain its trout and salmon programs, DEEP has established an additional revenue source in the form of a trout & salmon stamp. As with your fishing licenses, all (100%) of the money generated from your purchase of a trout & salmon stamp goes to support Connecticut’s fish and wildlife programs.

Who Needs A Trout & Salmon Stamp

A trout & salmon stamp is now required for anyone age 16 and older (including those age 65 and over) when:
  1. Fishing in the designated Trout Management Areas (TMA), Wild Trout Management Areas (WTMA), Trout Parks, and Atlantic Salmon Broodstock areas; or
  2. Harvesting trout, Kokanee, or Atlantic Salmon.
Note: We have received numerous questions from anglers on whether a trout & salmon stamp is needed to fish a Trout Management Lake (TML). These lakes are not TMA’s, a stamp is needed at a Trout Management Lake only when keeping trout or salmon. As a handy aid we are posting signs at many locations reminding anglers of the Trout & Salmon Stamp requirements at those locations. Green signs will be posted at those areas where a stamp is required to fish the area, and purple signs at most of the other areas where a stamp is required only when keeping a trout or salmon.

Who Does Not Need A Trout & Salmon Stamp

  1. Anyone younger than 16 years of age.
  2. Holders of lifetime fishing licenses issued to persons that are blind, have an intellectually disability, or certain physical disabilities (see Licenses).
  3. Anyone fishing waters stocked at no expense to the state (waters stocked with trout by another entity, but not stocked by the state).

What’s The Fee For A Trout & Salmon Stamp

The fee for a trout & salmon stamp is $5.00 ($3.00 for CT residents ages 16 & 17). The stamp is issued for the calendar year and expires on December 31st (just as most fishing licenses).

Obtaining The Stamp Is Easy

The trout & salmon stamp can be obtained just as you obtained your fishing license:
  • Online, or
  • In person at one of our offices, a town hall that has opted to sell licenses, or at a number of other vendors. For a complete list of vendors, visit the DEEP website or call DEEP Licensing and Revenue (860-424-3105).
There is no physical stamp; when you purchase a Trout & Salmon stamp, a line noting that you have obtained a stamp is added to your license document (if purchasing online, don’t forget to print the updated license or download it to your mobile device).

A Trout & Salmon stamp is needed for anyone age 16 and older to fish in TMA’s, WTMA’s, Trout Parks and Broodstock Atlantic Salmon Areas. Look for the green sign in these areas.

In other areas a Trout & Salmon Stamp is needed only by those age 16 and older keeping trout or salmon. Look for purple signs at many of these locations.