Skip to main content

Alabama

Hunting

Partnership to Improve Public Duck Hunting Opportunities

At this time, the Seasons and Bag Limits have not been finalized and are subject to change pending final review.

Alabama Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries (WFF) biologist and wildlife technicians have been working on a more than respectable grocery list of upgrades and renovations to improve waterfowl habitat and associated infrastructure on several Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) and Special Opportunity Areas (SOAs) across the State over the past few years. This work is a continued effort by WFF to provide improved hunting quality and hunting opportunities to our avid waterfowlers, while improving habitat quality. In total, the collection of waterfowl work, along with the newly created waterfowl habitat, will enhance an approximate total of 2,800 acres of WMA and SOA waterfowl habitat.

WFF is accomplishing the work in partnership with Ducks Unlimited (DU). DU is providing the 25% matching funds for the projects to leverage WFF’s funding provided to Alabama by the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Program, administered through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, to cover the remaining 75%. This priority list includes 10 projects covering the State and will apply approximately $2 million dollars into restoration, enhancement, and development of priority waterfowl habitat over the next several years. The work will allow our biologists to better control optimal water levels in waterfowl impoundments, better control of invasive plants, increase waterfowl food production, and improve hunter access.

Projects include a wide range of activities including the installation of new pumps and water control structures in waterfowl impoundments, mulching of undesired vegetation in greentree reservoirs, removal of invasive exotic vegetation, adding waterfowl hunt opportunities to an existing SOA and the creation of a new waterfowl SOA in Jackson County, The Big Coon Creek SOA. For more information on waterfowl hunting opportunities on the WMAs or SOAs or on the partnership waterfowl enhancement projects, visit: Waterfowl Hunting in Alabama | Outdoor Alabama (outdooralabama.com/what-hunt/waterfowl-hunting-alabama).