Areas Closed to Waterfowl Hunting
Virginia Bird Hunting
The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 750 yards of a wildlife sanctuary in any city in Virginia.
Taking, attempting to take, pursuing, or disturbing waterfowl is prohibited in the following areas:
- In Virginia Beach on the waters and from the shores of Crystal Lake, Linkhorn and Broad Bay, and Long Creek and their tributaries.
- Hog Island State Waterfowl Refuge in Surry County and all of the waters of the James River within a radius of 1,000 yards around that island, with the exception of blinds erected by the Department of Wildlife Resources.
- The waters of the James River around Presquile National Wildlife Refuge (except for the Turkey Island Cutoff navigational channel) to the mean low water mark on the opposite shore.
- Gaston Reservoir (Roanoke River) from a point beginning at High Rock and extending to the John H. Kerr Dam.
- The public waters extending 1,000 yards out from the marked shoreline of the Lands End WMA on the Rappahannock River in King George County, with the exception that adjacent landowners may still exercise their riparian rights. Additional information, including a map of this area, can be found at www.virginiawildlife.gov/wma/.
- The waters of the Great Hunting Creek embayment within the city of Alexandria, and the waters of the Potomac River in Fairfax County north of Dyke Marsh and south of the city of Alexandria and between the shore and a line 1,000 feet from the Maryland State Line, although waterfowl that have been wounded elsewhere may be pursued into this area.
- The waters of Kane Creek Waterfowl Refuge within the boundaries of Mason Neck State Park in Fairfax County.
- The waters of the Potomac River in Fairfax County adjacent to the Mason Neck National Wildlife Refuge extending from Sycamore Point northeasterly to Hallowing Point including all tributary creeks, guts, and inlets along the shoreline.
- The portion of the New River that lies entirely within the boundaries of the Radford Army Ammunition Plant in the counties of Montgomery and Pulaski.
- The waters of Kittewan Creek Refuge in Charles City County, west (upstream) of the posted refuge boundary markers (latitude-longitude coordinates 37.29831 – 77.05134) located approximately one mile upstream from the James River.
- In the section of the James River, downstream from Bosher’s Dam to the Interstate 95 bridge.
- The discharge of a firearm is prohibited on the Potomac River in Fairfax County north of Accotink Creek (see Fairfax County Ordinance 6-1-2). This includes Little Hunting Creek. Please check with Fairfax County before attempting to hunt in this area.