Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
Enter Your Email Address:
No Thanks!
The 2014 Oklahoma Waterfowl Guide is now available!
To view the new guide, please view the Digital Edition. Check back in the coming days as we work to put up the new 2014 website.

Below is content from the 2013 guide.

Planning Your Trip Using Our Maps

Brought to you by:

Improved mapping in this edition includes state and federal public lands as well as the locations of free public fishing access areas. Also included is a chart showing fish species found in lakes and streams.

It is important for all of us who fish today to do our best to pass our fishing tradition on to the next generation. To help make it easier, young anglers do not need a license until they are 15 years old, and Vermont offers significantly reduced license rates for anglers 15-18 years old ($8 for residents, $15 for nonresidents).

Fishing in Vermont is easier than in many states because we have more than 800,000 acres of federal and state public land open to fishing. Be sure to look at the maps included here that show where you can find state wildlife management areas, state forests, state parks, national wildlife refuges, and the Green Mountain National Forest. More detailed maps of state wildlife management areas are on the Fish & Wildlife website ( and in the “Guide to Wildlife Management Areas of Vermont” book available through the online store.

To learn more about Vermont fishing, check in at our website or call us at (802) 828-1000. Copies of helpful publications available on the website can be found under “Fishing.”

If you don’t live in Vermont, planning your trip and finding a place to stay is easy Additional information about lodging and guides is available from the Vermont Outdoor Guides Association at and at 1-800-425-8747.

Fishing licenses can be purchased online through our website and from agents statewide.


Begin by finding the area of the state where you want to fish in the Map Guide and note which detailed map it falls within. You can then use the detailed map, which contains many symbols to show the locations of access areas as well special regulation rivers & streams and lakes & ponds, and public lands. The key with the Map Guide is a good guide to these symbols but more detailed information is below.

Where can I launch my boat? The Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department maintains boating access areas on waterways throughout Vermont. Access areas are indicated on the map by the red boat symbols. The filled-in boat symbol indicates an access area with a boat ramp usable by a trailer, while the outlined boat symbol indicates an access area that services only carry-on boats such as canoes and kayaks.

What are the regulations on my waterway? Some rivers & streams and lakes & ponds have special fishing regulations. Rivers & streams with special regulations are highlighted in YELLOW or BLUE-GREEN on the map. Lakes & Ponds with special regulations are highlighted in ORANGE. The regulations for a water body with special regulations are listed in the Index of Rivers & Streams and the Index of Lakes & Ponds. Special regulation waterbodies are labeled with a number that is found on the second to last column on the charts.

Especially helpful are the General Fish Regulation Tables, which are sorted by species of fish and water body type and can be found in the menu under Fishing.

Are there nuisance species I should look out for? Aquatic nuisance species are labeled with pink boxes on lakes & ponds, and with pink highlights on rivers & streams. On these waterbodies, particular care should be taken to prevent the spread of aquatic nuisance species. However, aquatic nuisance species spread prevention practices should always be employed when visiting ANY waterbody, regardless of whether a known infestation is present because invasive species or fish diseases could be present but not yet detected. For more information, see Aquatic Nuisance Species.


Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Vermont Fish and Wildlife allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Vermont Fish and Wildlife Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Vermont Fish and Wildlife neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: