Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!
The 2014 New Jersey Freshwater Fishing Guide is now available!
To view the new guide, please download the pdf. Check back in the coming days as we work to put up the new 2014 website.

Below is content from the 2013 guide.

General Regulations

Brought to you by:

Takeand “Taking” mean pursuing, shooting, hunting, killing, capturing, trapping, disturbing, harrying, worrying, wounding, snaring or netting fish, birds or other animals. It includes placing, setting, drawing or using any net or other device commonly used to take fish or wild animals, whether they result in taking or not. It includes every attempt to take and every act of assistance to another person in taking or attempting to take fish or wild animals.

Camping and Trespass: It is illegal to park, drive or camp on another person’s land without permission of the landowner. You must immediately leave the property when the landowner requests it, whether the property is posted or not. Roadside or public highway turnouts are not legal for overnight camping.

Importation of Wildlife: It is illegal to bring live wild mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles, or fish into Vermont without previously obtaining an importation permit from the Fish & Wildlife Department.

Interfering with Hunters, Anglers and Trappers: It is illegal to intentionally interfere with someone who is lawfully taking fish or wild animals, or to disrupt the taking of any fish or wild animal by harassing or disturbing the fish or animal.

Interstate Highways: No one may legally travel on foot within the right-of-way or cross boundary fences along interstate highways. Rest areas and pullouts are NOT access areas for hunting, fishing or entering on adjacent lands unless posted as such.

Private Roads and Lands: Law prohibits obstructing private driveways, barways, or gateways with motor vehicles. People shall not drive over private lands or enter these lands for the purpose of camping without the permission of the landowner.

Season Dates: All season dates in this book are inclusive.

Violators: In addition to the person who actually violates a regulation for hunting, fishing, or trapping, anyone who offers advice or assistance in a violation, or who knowingly shares in the proceeds, shall be punished as a principal violator.

Reimbursement for Illegally Taken Fish or Wildlife

In addition to any court penalties, anyone convicted of illegally taking, destroying, or possessing wild animals must pay, as restitution, into the fish and wildlife fund no more than the following amounts:

Big Game $2,000.00

Endangered Threatened Species
(T10, 5401) $2,000.00

Small Game $500.00

Fish $25.00

Threatened & Endangered Species

Vermont’s Threatened and Endangered Species are protected with a state fine of up to $2,000 for illegally taking one. The complete list is available on the Fish & Wildlife website ( The list includes: lake sturgeon, stonecat, timber rattlesnake, bald eagle, spruce grouse, Eastern mountain lion, Canada lynx, marten, little brown bat and Indiana bat. Federal penalties also may apply.

Safety Zones: A property owner may establish a 500-foot Safety Zone around an occupied dwelling, residence, barn, stable or other building with signs provided by the Fish & Wildlife Department. These signs shall be placed at each corner of the safety zone and no more than 200 feet apart. Shooting is prohibited in the Safety Zone and no wild animal may be taken within it without permission from the owner.

Posted Property Under Fish & Wildlife Law

Hunting, fishing or trapping on properly posted land is illegal without written permission. This includes land posted for hunting, fishing or trapping by permission only. Properly posted land will have records filed with the town clerk and the Fish & Wildlife Department. See Title 10, V.S.A., Sections 5201 to 5206.

Whether the property is posted or not, a hunter or angler shall show their license if requested by the landowner.

It is illegal to damage or remove posters prohibiting hunting, fishing or trapping.

A person must leave the land immediately on demand of the owner, whether the land is posted or not.

Posting & By Permission Only Signs

(Permission Only Signs are NEW this year)

A landowner, or a person having the exclusive right to take fish or wild animals on land or the waters thereon, who desires to protect his or her land or waters over which he or she has exclusive control, may maintain signs stating that:

  • the shooting, trapping or taking of game or wild animals is prohibited or is by permission only;
  • fishing or the taking of fish is prohibited or is by permission only;
  • fishing, hunting, trapping and taking of wild animals and fish are prohibited or are by permission only.

Permission Only signs shall be dated and contain the owner’s name and a method by which to contact the property owner or a person authorized to provide permission to hunt, fish or trap on the property.

The owner or person posting the land shall annually record the posting at the town clerk’s office for a fee of $5.00.

  • Signs must be not less than 11 inches by 8 ½ inches in size.
  • Lettering and background on the signs must be of contrasting colors.
  • Legible signs must be maintained at all times and dated each year.

Location of Posting Signs: Posting signs must be erected on or near all the boundaries, at each corner and not over 400 feet apart.


Falconry is legal by special permit. Contact Fish & Wildlife for information at (802) 828-1000. (NEW this year) Only the State permit is required.

Sale or Purchase of Fish and Game

Small Game: It is illegal to buy or sell a wild bird, cottontail rabbit, snowshoe hare, or gray squirrel.

Big Game: The only time it is legal to buy or sell big game or the meat of big game within the state is during the open season and for 20 days after the season ends. The meat of big game animals is not to be bought or sold to be transported out of the state. It is illegal to buy or sell anadromous Atlantic salmon taken in the Connecticut River Basin and/or to buy or sell wild turkey at any time.

Other than the meat mentioned above, a person may buy or sell at any time:

  • The head, hide and hoofs of legally taken deer or moose; or
  • The head, hide, paws and internal organs of a legally taken black bear.

Deer Hides: Anyone wishing to engage in the business of buying furs or skins of furbearers or deer hides must have a valid Fur Buyer’s License. Contact Fish & Wildlife.

Bear Parts: International trade in hides, claws, skulls, or teeth of black bear is regulated by federal law and international treaty. If you plan to sell your own bear hide or parts outside of the United States, you must obtain an export permit (for a fee) from the Federal Wildlife Permit Office, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Office of Management Authority, 4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22203, 1-800-358-2104. These products must be shipped through one of eleven designated ports (Boston is the nearest), or through another port under special permit (for a fee) from the same office. You do not need export permits and declarations to sell to domestic or foreign buyers within Vermont or the rest of the United States, or to sell through brokers who possess the necessary permits.

Sale and Purchase of Fish: Businesses may buy lawfully taken fish, with the approval of the Commissioner, pursuant to guidelines of the Board. Fish species to be bought or sold are restricted to species not protected by Title 10 V.S.A. Section 4611— “A person shall not buy or sell a salmon, trout, lake trout, walleye, northern pike, muskellunge or black bass taken in this state, or imported from another state or country where sale of such fish is prohibited, except such fish reared in licensed propagation farms within the state.”

Game Suppers: Game suppers may be held at any time by a church, volunteer fire department, fish and game club, or other nonprofit organization with a permit issued by a State Game Warden.

Wild animals and fish legally taken in this state, or another state or country, may be transported and sold as part of a game supper authorized by permit. Big game provided by the Fish & Wildlife Department may also be sold at such suppers. Migratory waterfowl, cottontail rabbits, snowshoe hare, and anadromous salmon may not be sold. Permits for game suppers must state the name of the organization holding the supper, as well as the date and location of the supper. A permit needs to be applied for at least 10 days before the date of the supper. Contact the Law Enforcement Division of the Fish & Wildlife Department for a permit application.

Transportation of Fish or Game

Transportation of fish or game is only permitted in the presence of the person who took that fish or game.

A person shall not transport fish or game:

  • Taken by someone else unless the person who took the fish or game accompanies it;
  • During closed season for that fish or game;
  • If it exceeds the number or limit of fish or game that may legally be taken in a day.

However, a person traveling on land between a temporary abode such as a hunting camp and his or her home may transport in one day the number of fish or game that may legally be taken in two days.

While on the waters of the state, a person may not transport more than one day’s limit of fish unless the fish is frozen, processed and packaged for storage.

Public Use of Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department Lands

(NEW this year) The Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department owns more than 80 Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs), two conservation camps, five fish culture stations, and other conservation lands totaling more than 133,000 acres throughout Vermont. A new rule enacted in 2013 allows the department to better protect the public’s use of and interests in these lands. This rule does not apply to Fish and Wildlife fishing access areas. WMAs were created for the conservation of fish, wildlife and their habitat, and to provide people with opportunities to enjoy these resources through fish- and wildlife-based outdoor activities such as fishing, hunting, trapping and wildlife viewing and photography. The goal of the rule is to formalize existing and ongoing management in order to improve enforcement, clarify priority uses, set clear expectations for the use of these lands, and protect the safety of the public. Wildlife Management Area maps are available at or at VT Fish & Wildlife District Offices.


Commercial activity means any activity or service that produces income for any person, group, business or entity, including any activity or service by any non-profit entity where a fee is required or requested.

Emergency situation means an unintended or unforeseen situation that poses a risk to health or life of a person or animal.

Authorized Activities

The following activities are authorized activities on all lands under this rule:

  1. Hunting, fishing, trapping, target shooting at designated shooting ranges, and associated activities in accordance with all applicable Vermont Fish and Wildlife laws and regulations;
  2. Fish and wildlife viewing and photography;
  3. Boating, including launching and landing, for fish-based and wildlife-based activities where not otherwise prohibited by any other relevant regulations or statutes;
  4. Dispersed, wildlife-based pedestrian activities including walking, snowshoeing, swimming, cross-country skiing, and collection of shed antlers;
  5. Non-commercial picking of berries, nuts, fungi and other wild edibles except ginseng;
  6. The activities specified in A, B, and C when conducted by a person as a commercial activity, including guiding for purposes of fishing, hunting and trapping;
  7. Camping for purposes of hunting, fishing or trapping:
    1. Non-primitive camping with a portable shelter equipped with a self-contained, portable, sanitary toilet on sites designated by the department for this purpose, for no more than 16 days during the periods of May 1-31, September 1 through December 15; See WMA maps for designated camp site locations.
    2. Primitive camping (occupying a site in a natural environment with no developed facilities, leaving the site in its original condition so there is no or minimal evidence of human visitation) on the following WMAs for no more than 3 consecutive nights; Camp sites must be at least 200 feet from any waterbody, property line, or road:

      Arthur Davis WMA, Bald Hill WMA, Bill Sladyk WMA, Les Newell WMA, Pine Mountain WMA, Plymsbury WMA, Roy Mountain WMA, Steam Mill Brook WMA, Victory Basin WMA, West Mountain WMA.

Prohibited Activities

  • The operation of any ATV, UTV, or any wheeled or tracked motorized vehicle not registered for public highway use, except as provided under special permit from the Commissioner to accommodate a person with a qualified disability pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act;
  • Use of motorized vehicles except on roads specifically designated for such use (see WMA maps);
  • Snowmobiling except as approved by the department and on designated corridors (see WMA maps);
  • Horseback riding, dog sledding, non-motorized cycle riding, or use of motorized vehicles except on designated corridors (see WMA maps);
  • Draft and pack animals, except for retrieval of legally harvested moose, deer and black bear during the respective hunting season(s);
  • Commercial activities except for authorized activities in A, B, and C of this rule;
  • Artifact or fossil collection;
  • Fires except in emergency situations, or for non-primitive and primitive camping as specified in this rule;
  • Abandoning, or disposing of any animal carcass, or their parts, except that portions of fish or game legally harvested on the property may be deposited on site during routine field processing for preservation and transport, or parts used in conjunction with legal trapping;
  • Construction or placement of temporary or permanent structures, except for tree stands and ground blinds as specified for use on State Wildlife Management Areas under General Hunting Information, and duck blinds as specified under the Game Bird Hunting section of this guidebook;
  • Collection of plants, trees, evergreen brush or limbs, except wild edibles as allowed under E of this rule;
  • Use of any fireworks or pyrotechnic devices except signal flares in an emergency situation;
  • Feeding or baiting of wildlife except if otherwise authorized by law;
  • Taking of fish from a fish culture station except during special events established by the department, including but not limited to fishing derbies, clinics and educational events;
  • Entering within 500 feet of any building or other associated infrastructure that is associated with a department fish culture station or conservation camp during times of the day other than those times posted for public use;
  • Parking of vehicles except while engaged in an Authorized Activity;
  • All other activities not specifically authorized by this rule, or authorized in writing by the Commissioner including, but not limited to: para-sailing, hang-gliding, recreational rock climbing, and geocaching.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Vermont Fish and Wildlife allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Vermont Fish and Wildlife Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Vermont Fish and Wildlife neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: