Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Resident Licenses

Brought to you by:


Can be purchased by:

  • Persons who possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license, or an active TN Department of Safety ID Only Card.
  • Persons who have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutive days with the genuine intent of making Tennessee their permanent home.
  • Military personnel on active duty in this state and their immediate families, who reside with them, regardless of resident status.
  • Students who are enrolled in a Tennessee school, college, or university for at least six months (must present a student ID card or other proof of enrollment).
  • Ages 12 and under, no license required. Permits may be required.

Annual Hunting and Fishing Combination (Type 001) ages 16–64


Minimum license required to fish and/or hunt small game.

Junior Hunt/Fish/Trap (Type 002) ages 13–15


Required for hunting all game, fishing, and trapping. Must be purchased prior to 16th birthday. No supplemental licenses are required, but applicable permits are required.

One-Day Fishing (Type 021) no trout; ages 13–64


One-Day Fishing All Fish ( Type 023) includes trout; ages 16–64


Annual Trout (Type 022) ages 16–64


Type 022 is a supplemental license required to fish for trout in addition to Type 001, 020, or 021.

Annual Sportsman (Type 004) ages 16–64


An all-inclusive license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any state supplemental licenses or permits. Sportsman licenses can be purchased from all license agents.

County of Residence Fishing (Type 020) ages 13 and over


This license allows an angler to fish in his/her county of residence with natural bait (worms, crickets, corn, etc.), but not minnows. No artificial baits can be used. A supplemental license (Type 022) is required to fish for trout.

South Holston Reservoir (Type 063) ages 13 and over


This additional license allows licensed resident anglers to fish the VA portion of South Holston Reservoir. This is essentially a VA license sold by TWRA, therefore all license holders, including the sportsman’s license types, would need to purchase this additional license if fishing in VA.

Permanent Senior Citizen Hunt/Fish/Trap (Type 166) ages 65 and over


Available from any license agent for a one-time fee, and valid for the rest of the license holder’s life. Not a Lifetime Sportsman License. Additional permits may be required. Can only be purchased when 65th birthday is reached. A valid Tennessee driver’s license or proof of age and residency is required. A trout license is not required.

Annual Senior Citizen Supplement (Type 167) ages 65 and over


May be purchased as a supplement to Type 166 to cover all permits needed in the current license year.

Lifetime Sportsman age determines the cost

An all-inclusive lifetime license valid for hunting, trapping and sport fishing without any Tennessee supplemental licenses or permits. Allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Applications are available at your local TWRA office and Applications may only be submitted by mail, Fax (615-837-4262) or TWRA Offices.

Type 401 (Under 3 years)


Type 406 (Ages 3–6)


Type 402 (Ages 7–12)


Type 403 (Ages 13–50)


Type 404 (Ages 51–64)


Type 405 (Ages 65 & over)


Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: