Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

License Fees

All waterfowl hunters are required to have the following in order to hunt waterfowl in Tennessee:

  1. The appropriate license(s) and/or permits
  2. Federal Duck Stamp (except as noted below)
  3. Tennessee Migratory Bird Permit (HIP permit)(except as noted below)

Wildlife Management Area Permits

Everyone who hunts on wildlife management areas that require permits must have a WMA permit except: a holder of a Lifetime Sportsman License, an Annual Sportsman License, seniors with a Type 167 permit, or juveniles under age 16 hunting small game and waterfowl. A complete list of WMAs, including those that require permits, can be found in the current Tennessee Hunting and Trapping Guide.

NOTE: Juvenile hunters must be accompanied by an adult with a valid WMA permit, if required by that WMA.

WMA Small Game and Waterfowl (Type 091)


1-Day Small Game and Waterfowl (Type 092)


Annual Senior Citizen Permit (Type 167)


May be purchased only by holders of a Type 165 or Type 166 license. It covers all small game, waterfowl, and non-quota permits required by TWRA and allows holders to apply for quota permits without payment of additional fees.

Reelfoot Preservation Permit: Required for all users of Reelfoot WMA except those under 16 years of age, residents 65 years or older and holders of the adult Annual Sportsman License, Lifetime Sportsman License or Type 167 Permit.

Annual Reelfoot Pres. Permit (Type 089)


3-Day Reelfoot Pres. Permit (Type 088)


1-Day Reelfoot Pres. Permit (Type 090)


Refer to the current Tennessee Hunting and Trapping Guide for regulations regarding waterfowl hunting on specific WMAs.

Resident Licenses

Age 12 and under

no license required
permits may be required

Hunting and Fishing Combination
(Type 001) Age 16–64


Waterfowl (Type 005) Age 16 and over
Needed in addition to Type 001.


Annual Sportsman (Type 004) Age 16–64


An all-inclusive license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any state supplemental licenses or non-quota permits and allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Sportsman licenses can be purchased from all license agents.

Lifetime Sportsman

age determines the cost

An all-inclusive lifetime license valid for hunting, trapping and sport fishing without any state supplemental licenses or permits. Allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Applications and fee listings are available at your local TWRA office and the TWRA website.

Junior Hunt/Trap/Fish (Type 002) Age 13–15


Good for hunting all game, fishing, and trapping. Must be purchased prior to 16th birthday. No supplemental licenses are required, but special season and WMA permits will need to be purchased in addition to this license.

Permanent Sr. Citizen Hunt/Fish/Trap
(Type 166) Age 65 and over


Available at all license agents and can only be purchased when 65th birthday is reached. A valid Tennessee driver’s license or proof of age and residency is required. No supplemental licenses are required, but special season and WMA permits will need to be purchased in addition to this license. Application with proof of age and residency can be mailed in.

Nonresident Licenses — Junior (Age 13–15)

Age 12 and under—no license required. Permits may be required. These do not include WMA, special season permits, or quota hunt permits.

Junior Hunt/Fish (Type 070)


Required for nonresidents ages 13–15 to fish or hunt small game. A Type 085 or 086 is required to hunt big game.

7-Day Junior All Game (Type 085)


Junior All Game Annual (Type 086)


Nonresident Licenses — Adult (Age 16 and Over)

7-Day Hunt—Small Game/Waterfowl (Type 072)


Annual Hunt­—Small Game/Waterfowl (Type 071)


7-Day All Game (Type 074)


Annual All Game (Type 073)


Annual Trapping (Type 120)


Migratory Bird Permit Required

Resident and nonresident hunters must possess a Tennessee Migratory Bird Permit to hunt waterfowl and other migratory birds. Available at any license agent or TWRA regional office. The following do not need to have this permit:

  • Landowners hunting on their own land
  • Disabled veterans
  • Tennessee residents 65 years or older
  • Tennessee residents under 13 years of age
  • Lifetime Sportsman license holders

Migratory Bird Permit (Type 006)


Migratory Bird Permit (Type 007)

no fee

Only available to Annual Sportsman license holders.

Federal Duck Stamp


Federal law requires that each waterfowl hunter, age 16 and over, carry on his/her person, in addition to a hunting license and permit, a valid Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp (federal duck stamp) signed in ink across the face. These can be obtained through the Post Office, National Wildlife Refuge offices, and some discount and sporting goods stores.

Special Regulations

Hunting Hours

Ducks, Geese, Gallinules, Rails, Coots: One-half hour before sunrise to sunset (except where otherwise noted). Sandhill Cranes: sunrise to 3:00 pm EST.

Plugged Shotguns

No person shall hunt migratory game birds, except crows, with a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three (3) shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three (3) shells.

Legal Shot

All federally approved nontoxic shot (bismuth-tin, steel, tungsten-bronze, tungsten-iron, tungsten-matrix, tungsten-nickel-iron, tungsten-polymer, tungsten-tin-bismuth or tungsten-tin-iron-nickel) are legal for waterfowl hunting.

Possession or use of any loose shot other than nontoxic shot or any shotgun shells other than nontoxic while hunting waterfowl, sandhill cranes, coots, gallinules, Virginia rails, and sora rails is prohibited.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: