Public Hunting Information

Hunting Regulations Icon Tennessee Hunting

Other Hunting Lands

Other TWRA lands not proclaimed as a WMA or refuge are open with statewide seasons unless otherwise indicated.

Big Hill Pond State Park (McNairy Co.) Huntable Lands

The portion that is south of the railroad track is open to hunting during the statewide seasons. Wild hog may be taken during deer season by licensed deer hunters. Same as statewide, except for deer. See Unit CWD.

Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area

Not open to elk hunting. In addition to state hunting license, a Big South Fork Permit is required to take wild hogs. Hogs may only be taken during the deer season and the Jan.–Feb. small game season. All hogs must be taken with big game hunting devices. For information about obtaining a wild hog permit call Big South Fork NRRA at (423) 569-9778 or the BSFNRRA Brandy Creek Visitor Center at (423) 286-7275 or www.nps.gov/biso.

Fort Campbell Outdoor Recreation

(270) 798-2175.


Holston Army Ammunition Plant

(423) 578-6276

Milan Army Ammunition Plant

(731) 686-6682. website:


Tennessee State Forests

Operated by Tennessee Division of Forestry. State forests listed below are open to hunting during statewide seasons. For information concerning locations and state forest user regulations, consult website: www.state.tn.us/agriculture/forestry/stateforests.html

  • Bledsoe State Forest
  • Cedars of Lebanon State Forest
  • Franklin State Forest
  • Lone Mountain State Forest
  • Stewart State Forest

Tims Ford State Park Huntable Lands

Permit required, available at the Park Office. Same seasons and regulations as Owl Hollow Mill WMA (see Region II). For more information call (931) 962-1183.

Federal Refuges

Federal refuge seasons and regulations may be different from the ones listed in this guide. Contact the individual refuge for their specific seasons and regulations.

Chickasaw National Wildlife Refuge

(731) 635-7621

Cross Creeks National Wildlife Refuge

(931) 232-7477 – All hunters must have type 064 permit, even lifetime and sportsmans license holders. Available at all TWRA license agents.

Lower Hatchie National Wildlife Refuge

(731) 635-7621

Same as statewide, except for deer. See Unit CWD.

Hatchie National Wildlife Refuge

(731) 772-0501

Reelfoot and Lake Isom National Wildlife Refuges

(731) 538-2481

Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge

(731) 642-2091 – All hunters must have type 064 permit, even lifetime and sportsmans license holders. Available at all TWRA license agents.

State Natural Areas (SNAs)

Open with statewide season, except as noted. For more information on these areas, see the Tennessee State Natural Areas website.

  • Big Cypress SNA, coincides with Obion River WMA regulations.
  • Duck River Complex SNA
  • Elsie Quarterman Cedar Glade SNA
  • Fate Sanders Barrens SNA
  • Fall Creek Falls SNA
  • Hampton Creek Cove SNA — Only turkey, grouse, rabbit, squirrel, and deer hunting (tree stands prohibited and archery only) allowed. Hunting dogs, dog training and motorized vehicles are prohibited.
  • Ghost River SNA coincides with Wold River WMA Unit 1 regulations. For deer, see Unit CWD.
  • Hicks Gap SNA
  • Reelfoot SNA coincides with Reelfoot WMA regulations
  • Sunk Lane SNA (northern unit only)
  • Twin Arches SNA
  • Honey Creek SNA — No hunting in the No Hunt Zone around Chariot Lodge.
  • Walker Branch SNA
  • William R. Davenport Refuge SNA

TWRA Public Hunting Areas (PHAs)

TWRA has established numerous PHAs; see list below. A PHA is a specific land or water area, or both, not intensively managed that is established for the protection of wildlife species and public use by both consumptive and non-consumptive users. PHAs differ from WMAs in that less intensive management activities occur and they are generally small and isolated from other TWRA manged lands. Wildlife Management Area General Regulations also apply to PHAs. However, WMA Permits are not required on these lands.

For information on these areas and exact locations, search the interactive map (go to www.tnwildlife.org and search for Wildlife Management Area Maps).

Open with statewide seasons: Cowan Swamp (Franklin Co.), Shady Park (Robertson Co.), Battle Creek (Marion Co.), Whites Creek (Rhea Co.), Mullins Island (Cocke Co.)

Open with statewide seasons except archery equipment only for deer hunting: Anderson Pond (White Co.), Hampton Crossroads (White Co.), Long Branch (DeKalb Co.)

Open with seasons same as North Cherokee WMA (see Region III): Big Springs (Sullivan Co.), Henderson Swamp (Washington Co.)

Hunting on TWRA Lakes

Hunting: Hunting is permitted during the regular hunting season on the following lakes and adjacent state lands, except on areas posted as safety zones: Garrett Lake, VFW Lake, Whiteville Lake, Coy Gaither Bedford Lake, Laurel Hill Lake, Carroll Lake (no big game hunting allowed on Carroll Lake and State owned land adjacent thereto), and Reelfoot-Indian Creek Watershed Lakes. Note: Deer hunting on the Oak Dain Wetland portion of Whiteville Lake will follow Unit CWD dates. See Deer Regulations.

Trapping: Trapping is allowed on Reelfoot-Indian Creek Watershed Lakes as set out in statewide regulations.

Waterfowl Hunting: Waterfowl hunting is permitted from temporary or natural blinds only on Garrett Lake, Laurel Hill Lake, Whiteville Lake, and Reelfoot-Indian Creek Watershed Lakes. Blinds and decoys must be removed daily from Garrett Lake, Whiteville Lake, and Reelfoot-Indian Creek Watershed Lakes. Boats may be used for waterfowl hunting on Garrett Lake, Laurel Hill Lake, Whiteville Lake, and Reelfoot-Indian Creek Watershed Lakes.