Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

License Fees

Hunting and fishing licenses go on sale February 18 each year, the beginning of prime fishing, and are valid through the last day of February the following year. Seasons are subject to change. License fees are subject to change. Migratory bird seasons are determined by federal regulations. Most licenses, except the Lifetime Sportsman License and specialty licenses, such as Wheelchair, Disabled Veteran, SSI (Supplemental Security Income), and Blind Fishing licenses, are available from most county clerks, sporting goods stores, hardware stores, boat docks, the TWRA website ( and all TWRA regional offices.

To purchase your licenses online, log on to and click on the link, “Buy license online.” Regular license fees plus a processing fee will be charged to your credit card.

You may also purchase licenses by calling 1-888-814-8972. An authorization number will allow you to begin fishing or hunting the minute you hang up. Regular license fees plus a processing fee will be charged to your credit card.

Three ways to buy your license!

1. Phone:  1-888-814-8972

2. Internet:

3. Mobile App:

Now charge your license(s) to Visa, Discover, or MasterCard!

Regular license fees plus a processing fee will be charged to your credit card.

Lifetime Sportsman

Age determines the cost.

An all-inclusive lifetime license is valid for hunting, trapping and sportfishing without any state supplemental licenses or permits. It allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee. Applications are available at your local TWRA office and the TWRA website.

Applications must be submitted by mail,
Fax (615-837-4262) or TWRA offices.

Type 401 (Under 3 years)


Type 406 (Ages 3–6)


Type 402 (Ages 7–12)


Type 403 (Ages 13–50)


Type 404 (Ages 51–64)


Type 405 (Ages 65 & over)


Resident Licenses

Resident licenses can be purchased by:

  • Persons who possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license or Tennessee state ID issued by the Department of Safety. Tennessee state law requires drivers to obtain a Tennessee drivers license within 30 days of residency. Out-of-state drivers license only accepted, for Military Personnel and Student meeting the criteria below.
  • Persons who do not drive or do not possess a valid driver’s license from another state, but who have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutive days with the genuine intent of making Tennessee their permanent home, may prove residency by presenting to a TWRA license agent any two of the following documents:
  • current Tennessee voter registration card
  • current Tennessee vehicle registration or title
  • Form I-94 issued by the US Citizenship & Immigration Service
  • current rental/mortgage contract or receipt including deed of sale for property or receipt for payment of Tennessee real estate taxes within last year.
  • Military personnel on active duty in this state and their immediate families, who reside with them, regardless of Tennessee resident status.
  • Students who are enrolled in a Tennessee school, college or university for at least six months, with student ID.

Note: A Social Security Number is required to purchase a Tennessee hunting or fishing license.

Hunting and Fishing Combination (Type 001)
Minimum license required to fish and/or hunt small game.


Supplemental Licenses (Types 005, 009, 010, 011 or 015) are required and must be purchased, in addition to the Type 001 license, in order to hunt deer, elk, bear, turkey, and waterfowl. The type of hunting equipment to be used determines which supplemental license is necessary.

Waterfowl (Type 005)


Annual Big Game Gun (Type 009)


Annual Big Game Archery (Type 010)


Annual Big Game Muzzleloader (Type 011)


Resident Elk License (Type 015)


This license is required after successfully being drawn for the annual elk quota hunt. Annual Sportsman and Lifetime License holders are exempt from having to purchase the Elk License.

Annual Sportsman (Type 004)


An all-inclusive license valid for hunting, trapping, and sport fishing without any state supplemental licenses or non-quota permits and allows holders to apply for quota permits at no additional fee.
Annual Sportsman licenses can be purchased from all license agents.

Junior Hunt/Fish/Trap (Type 002)


Ages 13–15. Good for hunting all game, fishing, and trapping. Must be purchased prior to 16th birthday. No supplemental licenses are required, but special season and WMA big game permits will need to be purchased in addition to this license. Fees apply when applying for quota hunt permits as well as “left over” permits.

Permanent Senior Citizen Hunt/Fish/Trap (Type 166)


Available at all license agents and can only be purchased when 65th birthday is reached. A valid Tennessee driver’s license or proof of age and residency is required. No supplemental licenses are required, but special season and WMA permits will need to be purchased in addition to this license. Fees apply when applying for quota hunt permits as well as “left over” permits.

Annual Senior Citizen Permit (Type 167)


May be purchased only by holders of a Type 166 license. It covers all non-quota permits required by TWRA and allows holders to apply for quota permits without payment of additional fees.

Permanent Wheelchair Hunting and Fishing (Type 189)


Available only by application to the TWRA License Sales Office (615-781-6585). Application must be accompanied by a doctor’s statement stating that the applicant is permanently confined to a wheelchair. Covers all license requirements to hunt and fish but holder must purchase any applicable permits.

Permanent DAV Hunting and Fishing (Type 198)


Available only by application to the TWRA License Sales Office (615-781-6585) for resident veterans certified by the VA as 30 percent disabled by reason of war service or 100 percent service connected. Covers all license requirements to hunt and fish but holder must purchase any applicable permits.

Trapping (Type 019)


Notice of inspection law:It is the duty of every person participating in the privileges of taking or possessing wildlife to permit agency officers to ascertain whether the requirements of this title are being faithfully complied with, including the possession of a proper license. It is a violation of law to refuse such inspection or to interfere with an officer attempting such inspection.

TCA 70-6-101(b)(1)

Nonresident Licenses

These do not include WMA, special season permits, or quota hunt permits. See Type 094 in next column.

Junior Hunt/Fish (Type 070)


Required for nonresidents ages 13–15 to fish or hunt small game.
A Type 085 or 086 is required to hunt big game.

7-Day Junior ALL Game (Type 085)


Junior ALL Game Annual (Type 086)


7-Day Hunt-Small Game/Waterfowl (Type 072)


Annual Hunt-Small Game/Waterfowl (Type 071)


7-Day All Game (Type 074)


Annual All Game (Type 073)


Annual Trapping (Type 120)


Nonresident Elk License (Type 075)

This license is required after successfully being drawn
for the annual elk quota hunt.


Apprentice Hunting License (Type 012)


This is a supplemental license in lieu of a hunter education certificate.
All other applicable licenses are required. This license is available to all hunters 10 years of age or older who have not completed the mandatory hunter education course. It exempts the hunter from the mandatory hunter education law for one year from the date of purchase, but may only be purchased once during the lifetime of the hunter. Hunters who possess this license must be accompanied by an adult, 21 years of age or older, who must meet the hunter education requirements and able to take immediate control of the hunting device.

Federal Duck Stamp


Federal Law requires that each waterfowl hunter, age 16 and over, carry on his/her person, in addition to a hunting license and permit, a valid Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp (federal duck stamp), signed in ink across the face. These can be obtained through the Post Office, National Wildlife Refuge offices, and some discount and sporting goods stores.

Migratory Bird Permit Required

Resident and nonresident hunters must possess a Tennessee Migratory Bird Permit to hunt waterfowl and other migratory birds. Available anywhere hunting and fishing licenses are sold. The following do not need to have this permit:

  • Landowners hunting on their own land
  • Disabled veterans
  • Tennessee residents 65 years or older
  • Tennessee residents under 13 years of age
  • Lifetime Sportsman license holders
  • Military personnel on leave or furlough (with leave papers)

Migratory Bird Permit (Type 006)


Migratory Bird Permit (Type 007)
Only available to Sportsman license holders.

no fee

Hunter Education Replacement Card


Hunter Education Replacement Card (Type 500)

To replace a Hunter Education card at a TWRA license agent location, first contact your TWRA Regional Office during normal business hours. Verify that your Hunter Education number has been updated in the TWRA license system. Then you may go to a TWRA license agent and purchase a Type 500 Hunter Education Card Replacement.

Wildlife Area Management Permits

Everyone who hunts on Wildlife Management Areas is required to have a WMA permit except the holder of a Lifetime Sportsman, Annual Sportsman license, Annual Senior Citizen Permit holders (Type 167), and youths under age 16 hunting small game and waterfowl. Youth hunters must be accompanied by an adult with a valid WMA small game permit. Youths under 6 may not hunt big game on a WMA. All ages need a Type 094 for county non-quota and special season hunts.

WMA Small Game and Waterfowl (Type 091)


1-Day Small Game and Waterfowl (Type 092)


WMA Small Game only (Type 093)


Special Season/WMA Nonquota Big Game (Type 094)

Required for residents and non-residents to hunt the statewide special season county antlerless hunts. Valid for all county Special Season (nonquota) and WMA nonquota big game hunts, including Cherokee.


Cherokee WMA Big Game Nonquota (Type 095)

Valid for Cherokee WMA nonquota big game hunts.


Federal Refuges

Type 064 – This permit is required for Cross Creeks and Tennessee National Refuge for all hunters including lifetime and annual sportsman license holders.

Reelfoot Preservation Permit

Required for all users except:

  • Those under 16 years of age
  • Residents 65 years or older
  • Holders of the adult Annual Sportsman license, Lifetime Sportsman license or Type 167 Permit

Annual Reelfoot Preserv. Permit (Type 089)


3-Day Reelfoot Preserv. Permit (Type 088)


1-Day Reelfoot Preserv. Permit (Type 090)


North Cumberland Special Use Permits

These permits must be purchased for horseback riding, bicycling and ORV use. Youths under age 13 and persons holding a valid annual or permanent hunting license with a valid permit to hunt on this area are exempt.

At least one occupant of vehicle must possess the proper permit(s).
No permit shall be required on certain roads/trails as designated.

Resident Annual Permit (Type 035)


Resident Daily Permit (Type 036)


Nonresident Annual Permit (Type 037)


Nonresident Daily Permit (Type 038)


»No License Needed For

  • Residents born before March 1, 1926 (with proof of age and residency).
  • Military personnel on leave carrying leave papers.
  • Landowners, their spouses and children who hunt on farmland which is owned by said landowners. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee but need not reside on the land. This license exemption does not apply if the farmland is owned jointly or in common by unrelated persons.
  • Resident grandchildren (under the age of 16) and resident great-grandchildren (under the age of 16) who hunt on farmland which is owned by their resident grandparents or great-grandparents. (See below, Farmland Owner License Exemption.)
  • Tenants, their spouses and their dependent children, who hunt on farmland which is owned by an individual or a family. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee and must actually reside on the land and have permission of the landowner to hunt. A tenant is a person who, for money, free rent, or other consideration, cares for farmland. The tenancy must be agricultural in nature.
  • First cousins who own farmland jointly or in common may fish and hunt small game on the farmland. Their children may fish and hunt small game as well.
  • Resident and nonresident youths under 13. Hunters ages 10–12 need only a hunter education certificate to hunt. However, youths 6–16 hunting big game on a WMA must have a valid Type 094 or Type 095 permit or quota permit, as applicable.
  • » Farmland Owner License Exemption

Persons hunting without a license under a resident farmland owner exemption must complete and sign a statement attesting where the property is located and how this land qualifies for a landowner exemption. Persons may complete the form in advance and carry it with them while hunting or they may complete the form when requested in the field by a TWRA official or when checking game. A form is provided here. Additional forms are available at TWRA offices and TWRA’s website ( Landowners and their children hunting on their parent’s land under this exemption are also exempt from Hunter Education Certification requirements and blaze orange requirements.

  • » Misplaced a License?

All hunting and fishing licenses may be replaced at any license agent, including the Lifetime Sportsman License. Please verify your address at the time of purchase. All duplicate licenses cost $7.00.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: