License Exemptions

Hunting Regulations Icon Tennessee Hunting

  • Residents born before March 1, 1926 (with proof of age and residency).
  • Military personnel on leave carrying leave papers.
  • Landowners, their spouses and children who hunt on farmland which is owned by said landowners. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee but need not reside on the land. This license exemption does not apply if the farmland is owned jointly or in common by unrelated persons.
  • Resident grandchildren (under the age of 16) and resident great-grandchildren (under the age of 16) who hunt on farmland which is owned by their resident grandparents or great-grandparents. (See below, Farmland Owner License Exemption.)
  • Tenants, their spouses and their dependent children who hunt on farmland which is owned by an individual or a family. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee and must actually reside on the land and have permission of the landowner to hunt. A tenant is a person who, for money, free rent or other consideration, cares for farmland. The tenancy must be agricultural in nature.
  • First cousins who own farmland jointly or in common may fish and hunt small game on the farmland. Their children may fish and hunt small game as well.
  • Resident and nonresident youths under 13. Hunters ages 10–12 need only a hunter education certificate to hunt. However, youths 6–16 hunting big game on a WMA must have a valid Type 094 or Type 095 permit or quota permit, as applicable.

Farmland Owner License Exemption

Persons hunting without a license under a resident farmland owner exemption must complete and sign a statement attesting where the property is located and how this land qualifies for a landowner exemption. Persons may complete the form in advance and carry it with them while hunting or they may complete the form when requested in the field by a TWRA official or when checking game.  Additional forms are available at TWRA offices and TWRA’s website (www.tnwildlife.org). Landowners and their children hunting on their parent’s land under this exemption are also exempt from Hunter Education Certification requirements and blaze orange requirements.

Mandatory Hunter Education

All hunters, resident or nonresident, born on or after Jan. 1, 1969, must possess proof that they have successfully completed a Hunter Education course. Hunter Education certification is accepted from all other states. Those under 10 years of age do not need a Hunter Education certificate, but must be accompanied by an adult at least 21 years of age who must remain in a position to take immediate control of the hunting device. Call your local TWRA office or visit the TWRA’s website at www.tnwildlife.org for a listing of scheduled Hunter Education classes.

Hunter Education Field Day Exemption

For anyone 21 years of age and older, you can complete all your hunter educations requirements online. To receive an exemption for the Tennessee Hunter Education Online Field Day and a Tennessee Hunter Education card and certificate, you must follow these steps.

Step 1: Complete one of the following online classes:

  • Option 1 – Complete the following online class: www.Hunter-Ed.com this course costs $28.95 or
  • Option 2: Complete the following online class: www.HunterCourse.com this course costs $29.00

Both options are interactive, narrated, and offers daily (including weekend) live customer service via email or telephone with a toll-free number.

Step 2: Complete the form found at TNWildlife.org and mail, fax, or email with required documentation and payment (check, money order or credit card only) to the address listed on the form. Payment (check, money order or credit card) to the addresses listed on the form. After submission, you can expect to receive your card within 3 to 5 business days. This purchase is not available through the TWRA On The Go App.