Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation

Public Hunting

Over 7,000 acres of public hunting lands are available for Tennessee’s hunters. This is a cooperative effort between the TWRA and landholding companies to provide public hunting with the landowner setting, collecting and administering permits and the TWRA enforcing the rules and regulations governing these areas. Seasons are open same as statewide seasons.

Public lands are important to hunters and non-hunters alike, so all users should work to maintain a good relationship with the owners. Never litter or abuse the land.

Heartwood PHA – (formerly Graham PHA) Over 7,000 acres located in Perry County. A permit is required. Cost is $15.00 for adults and $12.50 for persons under 16 or over 65. For more information, contact the TWRA Region I office (731) 423-5725. Permits can be purchased at the following business:

Sanders Market – Linden

  • Regulations

Permits (On Public Hunting Areas where required, as per agreement.)

  1. a. Before any person may hunt on a Public Hunting Area he or she must possess a valid and appropriate hunt permit purchased from a Public Hunting Area permit agent. This permit must be available for inspection while on the area.
  2. b. A Public Hunting Area (PHA) permit is subject to cancellation if the permittee violates any of the rules and regulations of the area.


Use, possession or transportation of firearms, bows and arrows or other hunting devices and equipment is expressly prohibited except during times when they may be legally used for hunting.

Safety Rules

  1. a. The hunter’s permit is subject to cancellation if he or she is found to be careless with firearms and no permit fee refund will be made.
  2. b. No hunt participant shall be in possession of any alcoholic beverage, narcotic drug, barbiturate, or marijuana while hunting within a Public Hunting Area. No person may be under the influence of these substances while hunting on a Public Hunting Area.
  3. c. Firearms loaded with ammunition in either the chamber or magazine may not be transported in or on motorized vehicles. Exception: muzzleloaders may be transported in a loaded condition if the percussion cap or primer is removed from the nipple or tube. Flintlock muzzleloaders must have the priming powder removed from the pan, the frizzen open and the vent plugged.
  4. d. Hunting is specifically prohibited inside safety zones on all Public Hunting Areas.


  1. a. All motorized vehicles must be muffler equipped to suppress noise and be spark arrestor equipped to prevent fires. Operation of motorized vehicles is confined to roads not designated as closed. Driving off road into woods, fields, strip mines, foot trails, and utility rights-of-way is prohibited.
  2. b. Vehicles shall not be parked in any manner which will block or deny access to any road or trail.
  3. c. The use of wire, nails or other metal materials is prohibited in the building or attaching of climbing devices or hunting stands on or in trees. Hunting is prohibited from any stand attached to a tree with these materials. Portable climbing devices and stands that do not injure trees are exempted from this rule.
  4. d. No person shall deface, damage, destroy or remove any equipment, structure, sign, trees, plants, dirt or gravel from any Public Hunting Area without proper authorization.
  5. e. No garbage, refuse, litter or sewage shall be left or deposited on a Public Hunting Area.
  6. f. The use of buckshot for hunting is specifically prohibited.
  7. g. Open fires are prohibited on all Public Hunting Areas.
  8. h. Other miscellaneous uses of Public Hunting Areas shall be in accordance with posted notices and/or as indicated on the hunt permit.
  • Other Hunting Lands

Other TWRA lands not proclaimed as a WMA or refuge are open with statewide seasons unless otherwise indicated.

Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area

In addition to state hunting license, a Big South Fork Permit is required to take wild hogs. Hogs may only be taken during the deer season and the Jan.-Feb. small game season. All hogs must be taken with big game hunting devices. For information about obtaining a wild hog permit call Big South Fork NRRA at (423) 569-9778 or the BSFNRRA Brandy Creek Visitor Center at (423) 286-7275 or

Fort Campbell Outdoor Recreation

(270) 798-2175. website:

Holston Army Ammunition Plant

(423) 578-6276

Milan Army Ammunition Plant

(731) 686-6682. website:

Tennessee State Forests

Operated by Tennessee Division of Forestry. State forests listed below are open to hunting during statewide seasons. For information concerning locations and state forest user regulations, consult website:

Bledsoe State Forest

Cedars of Lebanon State Forest

Franklin State Forest

Lone Mountain State Forest

Stewart State Forest

Tims Ford State Park Huntable Lands

Permit required, available at the Park Office. Same seasons and regulations as Owl Hollow Mill WMA. For more information call (931) 962-1183.

  • Federal Refuges

Federal refuge seasons and regulations may be different from the ones listed in this guide. Contact the individual refuge for their specific seasons and regulations.

Chickasaw National Wildlife Refuge

(731) 635-7621

Cross Creeks National Wildlife Refuge

(931) 232-7477 – All hunters must have type 064 permit, even lifetime and sportsmans license holders. Available at all TWRA license agents.

Lower Hatchie National Wildlife Refuge

(731) 635-7621

Hatchie National Wildlife Refuge

(731) 772-0501

Reelfoot and Lake Isom National Wildlife Refuges

(731) 538-2481

Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge

(731) 642-2091 – All hunters must have type 064 permit, even lifetime and sportsmans license holders. Available at all TWRA license agents.


Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
This is not the full law. Consult the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency for further details. All persons are reminded that the statutes, code and regulations are the legal authorities.
J.F. Griffin reaches 20 million sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 47 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 22 state agencies.
For advertising information, please visit: