Rhode Island Saltwater Fishing
Recreational Lobster License
• Available to Rhode Island residents only
• Allows for personal use only (not for sale)
Types of licenses available:
|Non-Commercial Pot License|| |
|Non-Commercial Diver License|| |
Licenses can be obtained through the Office of Boat Registration and Licensing located at 235 Promenade Street, Providence, RI 02908 or online at http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bpoladm/manserv/hfb/boating/commfish.htm
- All lobsters must be measured
- Those measuring less than 3-3/8″carapace length must be returned immediately to the water from which taken.
- The POSSESSION of egg-bearing or
v-notched lobsters is prohibited.
- Mandatory v-notching of all egg-bearing females in LCMA 2 (includes all RI state waters).
- No person shall raise or unduly disturb any lobster pot or trap within the territorial waters of this State between the hours of one (1) hour after sundown and one (1) hour before sunrise.
- Recreational possession limit for licensed residents:
- Pots – 5 pots/recreational license
- Divers – 8 lobsters/day
• State Residents Only – no license needed
- All Blue Crabs measuring less than 5″ spike to spike shall be returned to the water immediately.
- No person shall possess, take, or attempt to take more than 25 blue crabs from any of the waters in this state except when taking by crab net, dip net, scoop net, hand line or trot line.
- Harvesting of blue crabs is prohibited between sunset and sunrise.
- The POSSESSION of egg-bearing crabs is prohibited.
**This is only a brief summary of the RI Division of Fish and Wildlife’s regulations. For more information or to view the actual regulations please visit RIDFW’s website at: http://www.dem.ri.gov/topics/mftopics.htm**