Northwest Permit Goose Zone
Oregon Bird Hunting
ATTENTION Northwest Oregon Goose Hunters…
A Northwest Oregon Goose Permit must be purchased annually.
The permit costs $2.00 and is printed separately from the hunting license.
- The season for Dusky Canada geese is closed. It is a wildlife violation to shoot a Dusky Canada goose.
- Legal shooting hours for geese in the Northwest Permit Zone are listed in the shooting time table.
- All days of the week (during the open NW Permit season) are open to goose hunting.
- Geese must be intact and fully feathered in the field and while in transit to the place of permanent residence of the possessor.
- Specific hunt details are below.
Permit Zone Boundary
All of Benton, Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Polk, Tillamook, Washington, and Yamhill Cos.
The following areas are closed to goose hunting during the permit season:
- Fern Ridge WA (including Fern Ridge Reservoir and all Corps of Engineers lands in the Fern Ridge Project)
- E. E. Wilson WA
- Sauvie Island WA, except white geese may be taken by hunters possessing a NW Goose Permit while hunting in the Eastside, Westside, and Oak Island Units during WA hunt days within the open periods of the Northwest Permit season
- That portion of Tillamook County beginning at the point where Old Woods Rd crosses the south shores of Horn Cr, north and west on Old Woods Rd to Sand Lake Rd at Woods, north on Sand Lake Rd to the intersection with McPhillips Dr., due west (~200 yards) from the intersection to the Pacific coastline, south on the Pacific coastline to Neskowin Cr, east along the north shores of Neskowin Cr and then Hawk Cr to Salem Ave, east on Salem Ave in Neskowin to Hawk Ave, east on Hawk Ave to Hwy 101, north on Hwy 101 to Resort Dr., north on Resort Dr. to a point due west of the south shores of Horn Cr at its confluence with the Nestucca Rvr, due east (~80 yards) across the Nestucca Rvr to the south shores of Horn Cr, east along the south shores of Horn Cr to the point of beginning.
- Other lands closed to game bird hunting as noted in these regulations
Oct. 21 – Oct. 29, 2017 and Nov. 18 – Jan. 7, 2018 and Feb. 3 – Mar. 10, 2018 except on Sauvie Island WA (Eastside, Westside, and Oak Island Units) where open days for white geese are WA hunt days occurring during the open Northwest Permit season.
Bag Limits For All Areas Except Sauvie Island WA
4 Canada Geese (except Dusky Canada geese which are closed to harvest), 10 white-fronted geese, and 6 white geese. A dusky Canada goose is any dark-breasted (Munsell 10 YR color value 5 or less) Canada goose with a bill length between 40 and 50 millimeters.
Bag Limit for Sauvie Island WA
Eastside, Westside, and Oak Island Units
6 white geese only.
Only persons who have passed a goose identification test provided by the Oregon or Washington Departments of Fish and Wildlife from 1996-2018 may be certified to hunt geese (see below). Hunters must possess a valid 2017-18 Northwest Oregon Goose Permit while hunting geese in the Northwest Permit Zone during the NW Permit Season. A permit is not needed to hunt during the September Goose Season. Dusky Canada geese are closed to harvest, the permit will become invalid for the remainder of the season if the holder takes any dusky Canada goose. Hunters who have their permit invalidated for taking a dusky Canada goose may obtain a new permit for subsequent seasons by retaking and passing the goose identification test.
Obtaining A Permit
To obtain study material and take the goose test, please visit the ODFW website at
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/waterfowl/#. Upon successful completion of the test, hunters may obtain a NW Goose Permit from any POS agent or online three days after passing the test. Please note a $2 agent fee does apply.
Hunters who successfully complete a goose test in Washington are eligible to receive a permit in Oregon by providing evidence of being eligible for a permit in Washington. Those hunters can visit the above website to get information needed to show proof of being eligible for a Washington permit. This process can take up to 10 work-days after which time your Oregon permit will be made available at any Oregon POS agent or online.
Legal shooting hours for geese in the Northwest Permit Zone during regular goose season are listed in the table below.
Northwest Permit Goose Shooting Hours
|Oct. 21 – Oct. 27|| |
|Oct. 28 – Oct. 29|| |
|Oct. 30 – Nov. 17|| |
|Nov. 18 – Nov. 24|| |
|Nov. 25 – Dec. 1|| |
|Dec. 2 – Dec. 8|| |
|Dec. 9 – Dec. 15|| |
|Dec. 16 – Dec. 22|| |
|Dec. 23 – Dec. 29|| |
|Dec. 30 – Jan. 5|| |
|Jan. 6 – Jan. 7|| |
|Jan. 8 – Feb. 2|| |
|Feb. 3 – Feb. 9|| |
|Feb. 10 – Feb. 16|| |
|Feb. 17 – Feb. 23|| |
|Feb. 24 – Mar. 2|| |
|Mar. 3 – Mar. 9|| |
|Mar. 10|| |
More Opportunity Comes With Greater Responsibility
For 30 years NW Oregon hunters have proven their ability to avoid harvesting dusky geese and we still need your help to keep goose hunting in NW Oregon a great opportunity!
- With a closed dusky goose season, it is now more important than ever for hunters to hold their fire unless they are sure their target is not a dusky Canada goose.
- Cackling geese are very abundant and relatively easy to identify. Hunters should shift their hunting efforts toward cacklers to avoid a costly mistake.
- The online NW goose identification materials were revised with new information in 2015-16. Hunters are strongly encouraged to periodically review the materials to stay informed.
The future of goose hunting seasons in NW Oregon is in your hands. Should unlawful harvest of dusky geese lead to reduced dusky populations, managers may have no choice but to restrict hunting opportunities for all Canada geese in the region.