General Cougar Regulations
Statewide Season: Jan. 1 – Dec. 31
Mortality Quotas: Cougar Quota Zones will be closed to cougar hunting if the zone quota has been reached. However, quotas are typically not met. See table below for zones and quotas. Quota information is updated regularly at: myodfw.com/big-game-hunting/species/cougar
Additional Tag: An “additional” cougar tag may be purchased throughout the season; however, hunters must purchase the general season tag prior to the tag sale deadline to be eligible for the additional tag.
Bag Limit: One cougar per tag, except it is unlawful to take spotted kittens or females with spotted kittens.
Mandatory Check for All Cougar
- Any cougar taken must be presented to an ODFW office within 10 days of the kill to be checked and marked; the person who took the animal is responsible to have it presented.
- Check-in must occur by appointment during normal business hours (Mon. – Fri., 8-5). Please call ahead to make arrangements to have the cougar checked.
- Hunters are required to check the unfrozen hide with skull and proof of sex attached
- To make check-in easier, ODFW biologist request hunters use a stick to hold the mouth open so teeth are easier to access
- Hunters are required to submit the reproductive tract of any female cougar taken
- At check-in, hunters must provide
- Date, and location including Wildlife Management Unit of harvest.
- Complete hunting information including cougar tag number. The cougar tag, a copy of the tag, or a completed “Wildlife Transfer Record Form” are alternatives for providing the needed information.
- Hunters must still complete mandatory reporting via the internet or toll free line.
COUGAR QUOTA ZONES
|A||Coast/North Cascade||180||10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 24, 25, 26 27, 39, 41, 42|
|B||Southwest Cascades||200||19, 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, 30, 31|
|C||Southeast Cascades||80||32, 33, 34, 35, 75, 76, 77|
|D||Columbia Basin||100||38, 40, 43, 44, 45|
|E||Blue Mountains||270||37, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64|
|F||Southeast Oregon||140||36, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74|
Statewide Total Quota: