Black Bear Seasons
General Bear Regulations
Fall Bear Tag Sale Deadline
October 2, see License, Tag & Permit Fees
Aug. 1 – Dec. 31
Within a calendar year, and during authorized seasons, a hunter may harvest:
- One bear with a general fall black bear tag
- One bear with an additional fall black bear tag
- One bear with a controlled spring black bear tag
It is unlawful to:
- Take cubs less than one year old or sows with cubs less than one year old.
- Use bait to attract black bear and using dogs to hunt or pursue black bear is prohibited.
- Hunt with a centerfire rifle without a valid (used or unused) deer or elk tag during certain time periods and areas; see General Hunting Regulations.
Mandatory Check for All Harvested Bears
The skull of any bear taken must be presented to an ODFW office or designated collection site within 10 days of the kill to be checked and marked; the hunter is responsible to have it presented.
- Skull must be unfrozen when presented for check-in and please prop open mouth so tooth can be accessed. Inserting a stick or dowel between the molars prior to freezing/drying out will help keep jaw open.
- Check-in at ODFW offices must occur by appointment during normal business hours (Mon. – Fri., 8-5). Please call ahead to make arrangements to have the bear checked.
- Hunters are required to check-in the skull only.
- Hunters are requested but not required to submit the reproductive tract of any female bear harvested, see diagram below.
- At check-in, hunters must provide:
- Date and location including Wildlife Management Unit of harvest.
- Complete hunter information including the issued date and time of a paper tag or the confirmation number of an electronic tag; a completed “Wildlife Transfer Record Form” is an alternative for providing the needed information.
- Hunters must still complete mandatory reporting via the internet.
- Label a plastic bag with: issued date and time of a paper tag or the confirmation number of an electronic tag, Date of Kill, Unit Number and Name, County, and Your Name and Address. Ziplock type kitchen or freezer bags work very well for this purpose.
- Locate the “Y” shaped reproductive tract beneath and slightly ahead of the pelvis or hip bones. It usually is necessary to move some of the intestines and other organs aside to locate the entire tract, including both ovaries and the uterus.
- Cut the uterus immediately forward of the bladder. Use caution when handling the bladder and cutting the reproductive tract from the body cavity to insure the meat is not contaminated with urine from the bladder.
- Place the entire reproductive tract in the labeled plastic bag and seal.
- Preserve specimens by freezing as soon as possible and submit to any ODFW district office or check station.
It is unlawful to hunt with a centerfire rifle without a valid (used or unused) deer or elk tag for certain time periods and areas; see General Hunting Regulations.
Entire Wildlife Management Unit unless indicated with an asterisk(*). See Black Bear Hunt Descriptions for controlled hunt boundary descriptions.
One black bear, except that it is unlawful to take cubs less than one year old or sows with cubs less than one year old.
Spring Bear Tag Sale Deadline
March 31, see License, Tag & Permit Fees.
Private lands will limit access for highlighted hunts. Do not apply unless you have access to a place to hunt.
ANY LEGAL WEAPON Controlled 700 Series Spring Hunts
2019 1ST CHOICE
|710A||NW Oregon*||Apr. 1 – May 31||990||NEW|
|717A||Alsea-Stott Mt*||Apr. 1 – May 31||214||453|
|722A||SW Oregon*||Apr. 1 – May 31||4,400||4,065|
|731A||South Central*||Apr. 1 – May 31||330||238|
|741A||White Rvr – Hood||Apr. 1 – May 31||330||NEW|
|746A||S Blue Mts*||Apr. 1 – May 31||770||901|
|752A||Starkey-Ukiah*||Apr. 1 – May 31||275||415|
|754A||Mt. Emily-Walla Walla*||Apr. 1 – May 31||212||1,694|
|756||Wenaha Unit||Apr. 1 – May 31||275||489|
|757A||Sled Springs -Chesnimnus*||Apr. 1 – May 31||303||938|
|759A||Snake Rvr Unit||Apr. 1 – May 31||440||737|
|760A||Minam-Imnaha*||Apr. 1 – May 31||275||575|
|762A||Pine Cr – Keating – Catherine Cr*||Apr. 1 – May 31||440||759|
|764||Lookout Mt Unit||Apr. 1 – May 31||43||65|
YOUTH ONLY CONTROLLED 700 Series HUNTS
2019 1ST CHOICE
|756T||Wenaha Unit||Apr. 1 – May 31||55||62|
|757T||Sled Springs-Chesnimnus*||Apr. 1 – May 31||88||112|
|760T||Minam-Imnaha*||Apr. 1 – May 31||55||43|
Don’t Forget to Report
Every hunter who purchased a deer, elk, cougar, bear, pronghorn antelope or turkey tag needs to report. Complete a survey for every tag you purchased — even if you didn’t hunt or weren’t successful. Visit myodfw.com/articles/report-your-hunt