Skip to Main Content Skip to Main Navigation
Join the Griffin's Guide HUNTING newsletter

Get weekly news, tips and photos from the world of hunting.
[contact-form-7 id="35884" title="GG Email"]
No Thanks!
This page is displaying information for the 2014-2015 seasons.

The 2015-2016 information can be found here at the Wildlife Department Website.

Hunter Education

Brought to you by:

I want to hunt but don’t have hunter education. What should I do?

You have more options than ever when it comes to hunter education. If you are 10 years or older, you can take the class online anytime or you can attend an in-person class. Find details on both at If neither of these is an option, you can hunt as an apprentice using an apprentice-designated hunting license. Find details below.

What if I have a problem with the online course?

Call (866) 521-2444 or e-mail from 6 a.m. to midnight Mondays through Fridays.

How do I get a replacement card?

Go to and click on “Education.” If you can’t find your information online, call (405) 521-3855. We’ll need to know your name and date of birth. It will help if you know when and where you took the class. We do not have access to card information issued by other states.

How do I find an in-person class?

Live classes are scheduled statewide from August through mid-November. At least one class will be scheduled per county. Go to to see scheduled courses.

I am younger than 10 and not eligible for hunter education certification. Can I still hunt?

Yes, when you are accompanied by a hunter who meets the Accompanying Hunter Requirements. If the game you are hunting requires a license, you can get an apprentice-designated license.

Replace License Online

If you lose your hunting license or hunter education certification card, don’t despair! You may now request a replacement online at the Department’s website.

To get a replacement application form, just log on to and click on “License.” Then select the type of license or card you wish to replace. Fill out the application form and mail it to us, along with the appropriate fee.

Hunter Education Course Completely Online

Oklahoma residents ages 10 and older may now take the complete Hunter Education course and Hunter Education certification test totally online. Students who pass the online test will be able to print their Hunter Education certification immediately.

Small-game hunters 15 or younger must have a hunter education card OR be with someone meeting the Accompanying Hunter Requirements.

Apprentice-Designated License

Buying an apprentice-designated license permits hunting by anyone who has not completed Hunter Education Certification. Anyone 31 or older is not required to have Hunter Education Certification to buy a hunting license.

  • Hunters younger than 30: Anyone who is not Hunter Education-certified may buy an apprentice-designated hunting license. Such hunters must abide by accompanying hunter requirements.
  • Hunters 9 and younger: Anyone who is not Hunter Education-certified may buy an apprentice-designated hunting license, and apprentice hunters must abide by accompanying hunter requirements.
  • Accompanying hunter requirements: A person 18 or older who is licensed (unless exempt) and Hunter Education-certified (unless exempt). For big game hunting, an accompanying hunter must be within arm’s length of the apprentice hunter or close enough to take immediate control of the firearm or bow of the apprentice. For small game hunting, the accompanying hunter must be within sight of and able to communicate with the apprentice in a normal voice without aid.

Regulations in red are new this year.

Purple text indicates an important note.

Return to the home page
Brought to you by:
Conservation Partner Advertisements: The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation allows appropriate advertising in its annual regulation guides in print and online, in order to defray or eliminate expenses to the state, and support enhanced communications with Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation Constituents. Through a unique partnership with J.F.Griffin Publishing, LLC &, ‘Conservation Partners’ have been established that pay for advertising in support of the regulations both in print and online. The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation neither endorses products or services listed or claims made; nor accepts any liability arising from the use of products or services listed. Advertisers interested in the Conservation Partners program should contact J.F.Griffin/ directly at 413-884-1001,
JF Griffin Media
J.F. Griffin Media reaches 9,000,000 sportsmen every year through our print and digital publications. We produce 30 hunting and fishing regulation guides for 15 state agencies. For advertising information, please visit: