Top Five Tree stand Safety Tips
- Always wear a full body safety harness while using a tree stand.
- Most accidents occur while entering, exiting or installing a tree stand. Be especially mindful at these times and make sure you wear your harness.
- Have a rescue plan in case you fall. This includes connecting your harness to the tree in a way that will allow you to get back on your stand if you fall. Also, keep a knife and cell phone or radio that will be easily accessible if you are hanging in your harness.
- Inspect your tree stand and safety harness before each use.
- Read and follow the tree stand and safety harness manufacturer’s instruction manual.
Small-Game Hunters: 15 or younger must have a hunter education card OR be with someone meeting the Accompanying Hunter Requirements.
Anyone buying a hunting or season specific license who has not completed Hunter Education Certification will have the hunter safety number on that particular license designated as apprentice. An individual who is in possession of an “apprentice-designated” license must abide by accompanying hunter requirements. For those requirements as well as apprentice-designated qualifications, see below:
- Hunters 30 and younger: Anyone who is not Hunter Education-certified may buy a hunting license that is apprentice-designated. Such hunters must abide by accompanying hunter requirements.
- Hunters 9 and younger: Anyone who is not Hunter Education-certified may buy a hunting license that is apprentice-designated. Such hunters must abide by accompanying hunter requirements.
- Accompanying hunter requirements: A person 18 or older who is licensed (unless exempt) and Hunter Education-certified (unless exempt). For big game hunting, an accompanying hunter must be within arm’s length of the apprentice hunter or close enough to take immediate control of the firearm or bow of the apprentice. For small game hunting, the accompanying hunter must be within sight of and able to communicate with the apprentice in a normal voice without aid.
- Anyone 31 or older is not required to have Hunter Education Certification to buy a hunting license.
Regulations in red are new this year.
Purple text indicates an important note.